Ssd x 2

Now I have a question. It came with a 64gb msata drive too. When I take it out I loose the
Config screen that comes up before the boot screen. Is this going to be a problem if I want to
Switch it out for a larger msata chip? It shows up on "my computer" now and it didn't
Before I swapped the ssds in. Anyone know if this is going to be a problem?

forJAT

Aug 7, 2013
Austin, TX
i just did the same thing except.. one of my samsungs is a msata 512gb, and the other is a samsung pro 840 512 gb. i have those in raid and then a western digital 700gb drive. the performance is insane!!

What speeds are you getting with the msata/ssd raid config? I was thinking about doing this but heard that the msata is much slower and would drag the speed do a bit. But that it would still exceed that of just a single SSD. So now I am just curious.

forJAT

Aug 7, 2013
Austin, TX
these are the speeds i got using the msata and ssd raid set up. i dont really see any performance dip using the msata.

View attachment 1042

VERY NICE .. okay will prob go this route :) Thanks

-------- EDIT
well I just priced the samsung 512 msata and it looks like I will be looking for another option .. LOL -- is there a general consensus on the performance/reliability of the Muskin 512gb msata's?

Last edited:

maxrule

Aug 7, 2013
USA
I would not recommend raid 0 with the samsung msata and a 840 pro. The msata samsung is tlc based storage and the 840 pro is mlc based. Two different kind of drives in terms or performance and long term reliability.

I have two 512gb 840 pros in raid 0 in my 18 and it reads 1164 and write 1026.

shankc

Dec 26, 2012
UnitedKingdom
Now I have a question. It came with a 64gb msata drive too. When I take it out I loose the
Config screen that comes up before the boot screen. Is this going to be a problem if I want to
Switch it out for a larger msata chip? It shows up on "my computer" now and it didn't
Before I swapped the ssds in. Anyone know if this is going to be a problem?
My 32gb msata done the same I can only see it if I go into ahci mode. when in raid 0 with my 500gb 7200 rpm drive I can't see it.so if you still have your msata caching another drive that could be a reason you can't see it.Don't know if this will help you its the first time I've dealt with caching drives. So when I put in my 512ssd I left it caching my storage drive as their was only a second or two difference in boot up speed