SteamOS + laptop = steambook?

ejohnson

What do you guys think are the odds of ever seeing a "steambook", pretty much a light gaming laptop (m11x style) the runs steam OS, streams games from large computer or can can run them standalone via steam OS...

Im going to give steam OS a shot tonight on my m11x to see what it can do... Would be really cool to play bf4 maxed out on the little m11x :) streaming from the desktop of course.

sway

What do you guys think are the odds of ever seeing a "steambook", pretty much a light gaming laptop (m11x style) the runs steam OS, streams games from large computer or can can run them standalone via steam OS...

Im going to give steam OS a shot tonight on my m11x to see what it can do... Would be really cool to play bf4 maxed out on the little m11x :) streaming from the desktop of course.

One word...EPIC!!!

tappin from the neXus 5

rlkirkland

Was you able to get SteamOS running. I tried on my Alienware 14 and got the black screen. None of the fixes would work on it. I'm assuming because there is no Intel or optimus support yet.

ejohnson

No, couldnt get it to do anything on the m11x. Tried for a few hours to get one of my desktops to run it.
I can install it, boot into the main OS, but it wont run steam at all.
I have given up for now, waiting for a more user friendly installer.

In the mean time though, I took the lan box that I am building and made that more of a "steam box"
Installed win7 on a pair of raided wd black drives, put in a cache drive, installed steam, turned off boot animation for win7, turned off the bios splash screen, then told steam to boot into big picture mode.
Now when I turn on that computer, the screen turns on, then a few seconds later the steam animation starts and boots into big picture mode.... you dont actually see any part of windows the way I have it set up :)

rlkirkland

Haha that works for now. I read that removing all lines that say nomodeset will let it boot on the Intel chipset. I may or may not play with it some more. Today is the start of the spill 10,000 gallons of zombie blood before Christmas time attack on dead rising 3 lol

ejohnson

hmmmm 10,000 gallons you say?

On a side note, when I tried to install steam os on a pair of raided drives, it broke the raid on one of the drives.

rlkirkland

Yeah I'm.most likely going to just build a steambox. So I know the hardware will be compatible. And that I can leave connected to my tv. Seems like so much less hassle.

ejohnson

I have a steambox waiting, my hangar18 will make the perfect steambox :)
Just need to wait till steamOS works a little bit better, and has a media player built in.

jacobberke

Well it's still in Beta mode. I want to create my own Steam box, whenever they launch around January.