Still Stuck on Vista - help plzzzz

JennyM

Hey all :)
I have an Aurora R5 which came with vista 32-bit installed & I've been trying for 9 hours now to upgrade it to Windows 7 64-bit. The problem is I don't have a F2 or F12 option at startup, I only have an F10 Alienrespawn option, which I tried yesterday along with a reformat (first in 4 years) and when completed it keeps installing windows Vista; I see no options to upgrade the Windows. I've trawled the internet until my eyes boggle :rolleyes: , but no success, so I'm hoping some techie experts in here can give me some hope, lol! I seriously hate Vista with a vengeance!

I'd also like to do a wee bit of upgrading, nothing too drastic, I'll get more RAM and if there's any other suggestions for easy hardware upgrades please shout.

Here's my current specs.

Motherboard ASUSTek M3A32-MVP Delux

AMD Athlon 64 x 2 Dual Core Processor 5200+

2GB RAM

Nvidia Geforce GTX260

ACPI x 86 - based PC

Disc Drives - ST3250410AS ATA Device 250Gb

DVD Rom Drive HL-DT-ST- DVD RAM GH22NP20 ATA Device

Network Adapter: Killer NIC NDIS EDGE Interface and Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller. (Don't know if either of those are wirelss but Internet doesn't work unless I put a wireless dongle in).

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

J

AeonSoul

Well afaik the upgrade option from Vista to Windows 7 should be somewhere either in Windows or on the MS website.
But to avoid any trouble I'd say it's more safe to grab a copy of Win7 and just do a format and perform a clean install.

RoBi1475

When upgrading from a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit you will need to run a custom install then choose the clean install option. You will lose all your files and program so back that shit up.

Win 7 upgrade adviser is informative to a point on the subject. I recommend installing it and seeing what it says about you rig.

JennyM

Thanks so much for your replies guys, I do have the disk and did the win7 advisor facility regarding the upgrade, so I'm good to go, just can't find how to get to the F12 screen they talk about on the windows advice site, but maybe I don't need to, maybe it will boot from the disc automatically.... now why didn't I try that instead of wasting hours trying to find the screen i wanted, lol! Fingers crossed! :)

JennyM

Was able to boot from disc by pressing F8 (who knew? lol) All went well until I came to choosing where to install the win7, I have a partition drive, partition 2 has the respawn in it & isn't large enough at 8.9Gb for me to intall win7 on top of it. I can delete it, but will that be a bad thing? My gut says keep it for now & install in partition 1 - I hope this is right. If it all works maybe then I delete partition 2 with the respawn as its for vista anyways? Awaiting advice from someone who knows :)))

AeonSoul

Well yeah the respawn partition will revert back to vista, unless you make a new respawn point with win7 installed and override it.
Install it in partition 1, or even better split partition 1 (if you can) in 2, one for the OS and one for the data, and go that way, so when you need to format you can just format the partition with the OS without losing your files (except, oviously, the software).

JennyM

Ok thanks, I deleted the respawn partition, but wasn't successful in making a new partition - that would've been handy - but for a first time doing it I'm pleased that I finally got Windows 7 up & running. Thanks for the help with that. :)
Next thing, drivers... I've done nothing about these except the graphics driver which is currently downloading. Windows 7 seems to have allocated the other drivers all by itself... apart from one.

It's listed in device manager as 'other devices' Power PC Processor, PCI Bus 5, device 6, function 0, and it says 'The drivers for this device are not installed.' I've no idea what that could be...The computer is working though....

AeonSoul

Can't you just redownload the drivers from the Dell website and then upgrade them one by one once you've installed everything?

JennyM

My desktop was purchased from alienware prior to the Dell takeover, so I don't have a customer number etc, if I knew what product the missing driver related to I could just download the driver myself... I did try installing the drivers today from the disk I got with the pc when i bought it, but it told me the drivers weren't compatible (the first one anyway).