Successful GPU upgrade X51 R2..... GTX 980

I have successfully upgraded my X51 R2 with a GTX 980 . I was going to wait and buy the 980 ti version, but decided just to get this instead. Was a little bit a pain to get it in but got it in there. This was one of the best upgrades for this machine. I would still recommend this to anyone thinking about upgrading their GPU.

The reason I went with the 980 instead of the 970 is because I run triple monitor set-up in 1080p. Wanted to run the full 4gb. I bought the reference blower by EVGA. Yes I did remove the front fan and replaced it with a smaller one.

This is the fan I replaced it with:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1..._R126010BUAF.html?tl=g36c365s1625&id=sZ7UyJMh

This thing was a little hard to put in and took me a little bit of effort. Had to cable manage the power cable a little and had to partially pull out the front black bezel tab. ( you'll see it when you are putting the putting in the 980.). It kept getting caught on the tab. So I couldn't place it in all the way. That's what really help when I pushed the front black bezel forward a little.

I just put it in and runs all my games fine now. Batman Arkam knight can run triple monitor now for me in max settings. The game itself is still a little buggy till Rocksteady fixes it.

My specs:
Alienware X51 R2
Processor
Intel Core i7-4790 3.6 GHz
Memory
8 GB DDR3
Storage
1 TB 7200 RPM

500 GB SSD Samsung EVO
Optical Drive
Slot-Loading Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (9.5 mm)
Graphics
Evga reference GTX 980
Power Supply
330W
Operating System
Windows 8.1 64-BiT

Tom

Jul 25, 2015
Any chance you could run a benchmark test and see if it shuts down? I'm really on the fence about making this upgrade due to shut down problems.
Then again i don't want to buy a 970 and feel like theres not much of an upgrade?
Keep me updated on how it runs please? I'm likely to upgrade within the next week or so.
Thanks
Tom

Salvatuon

Jul 23, 2015
Hi all,
I also have a X51 R2. I recently replaced my GTX760Ti with a EVGA GTX980 SC reference model. My problem is that the heat during playing games becomes very hot and it is around 82C. For example when I play NFS Most Wanted it never goes under that degree but in FIFA15 it is around 72. Is this normal? And in Most Wanted sometimes I get error message like "NFS has stopped working". Any idea?
P.S: My driver version is 353.30 - WHQL
My rig: I7 4790+EVGA GTX980 SC+8GB Ram+2TB HDD+Bluray Driver

venticore

May 9, 2015
That's why I will wait till I got a confirmation about the gtx 980 ti or will wait till I get the funds to buy both gtx 980 ti and Asrock m8 and get the card first if it didn't work then will move my stuffs to the m8.

venticore

May 9, 2015
this just now with my everyday OC setting.
T7A2xG.jpg

i guess its in the normal side.