test

Successful SSD Upgrade

ViktorCorvinus

Well I took a chance and followed these guides on upgrading to a SSD from a traditional HD. The Alien Respawn worked flawlessly and I did not have to do a Clean install. I did save some time by doing this, and after ran Alien Autopsy to find any drivers I needed to update. I did purchase a new flash drive, which held the entire 8.8gb image.

1. Use Alien Repsawn and restore the 'Factory' image (then DON'T do anything to the OS)
2. Create the Flash USB image: http://youtu.be/mjfyIoZT6oI
3. Restore it on new SSD: http://youtu.be/8odnyvG73uY
4. Run Alien Autopsy and update (Alien Autopsy scans your system and lists 'recommended' and 'optional' drivers)
5. Install a Antivirus/malware software (or use Microsoft default)
6. Perform a Microsoft Update.
7. This is up to you, but I downloaded the latest Nvidia or AMD video drivers (some people have reported problems with these and stick to the 'dell' certified driver)

While I'm not saying one way or another what you HAVE to do, I'm just reporting it is a success! If you have any questions or feedback, please let us know!

-Viktor

BrokeHombre

Congrats! - I tried the alien respawn when I upgraded my beast to an SSD. I had to to quite a bit to my machine before it would even recognize my SSD (all in the BIOS) - in the end I did a clean install and I am happy that I did. I hope all works out for you!

DDuB420

The only issue that could happen from not doing a clean install is the partition(s) on the SSD might not be correctly aligned for best performance.

If your not aligned properly, your SSD's performance will take a hit.

There are programs to check for partition alignments, not sure of a name off the top of my head. I always do clean installs so I never use those programs.

MVLS CROWNZ

Tonight project, thinking about using samsung restore/cloning software. But i'll like to receive full performance out a my SSD. Also Should I remain with my Win 7 img or just do a clean install? another question; honest opinion should I upgrade to Win 8 since I'm doing another clean install?

photo.jpg

ejohnson

I put a crucial m4 msata drive in last night. Micro center had refurbished 256gb drives for $130.

Super fast now. While I had it apart I also put 16gb corsair vengeance in the top slots.

dannymk6

Need some help guys, i done upgrading my intel ssd as main drive on my al14 and the previous 64gb cache is still in the msata .

Can i set the 64gb msata as storage? Cant seems to find the setting. ? Anyone know how to set? Googled but cant find the setting

ejohnson

When you start the computer hit ctrl I that should give you some options.
Otherwise go into the intel manager thing and turn the msata into a storage drive.

MVLS CROWNZ

Ejohnson very nice so are you running 4x4 or just 8x2 for the 16gigs?

Also I've tried to using the Samsung cloner software, Win 7 wouldn't boot. Will attempt again later this week. :confused:

ejohnson

In my m14xr2 I am running a 8x2 to get 16. My m17xr4 I am running a 4x2 + 8x2 to get 24 gigs. Need to pick up another set of 8x2 for the m17x though :)

MVLS CROWNZ

ejohnson: Wow cool man, yeah 32gigs would be prefect in our M17x. I was just wondering if there was a noticeable differences between 8x2 versus 4x4? Also which OS are you running?
:cool:

ejohnson

Past 8gb there is not much a change, but I am running win7pro.
I have that much ram in mine since I use it to DJ, so, I would rather have more than enough to run everything I need, than run out in the middle of a live deal.

I used to use my m14xr2, but I needed more hdd space so I went to a triple drive m17xr4 (msata 256gb and a pair of 1tb hdds)

The m17x is great for that, but its a little big.

shankc

The only issue that could happen from not doing a clean install is the partition(s) on the SSD might not be correctly aligned for best performance.

If your not aligned properly, your SSD's performance will take a hit.

There are programs to check for partition alignments, not sure of a name off the top of my head. I always do clean installs so I never use those programs.
Their is free programme called gparted that will align your partitions correctly. Just Google it and follow instructions

MVLS CROWNZ

Honestly now I feel the same way about my m17x. It is a little to big for the schoolbag, plus carrying around the big ass charger, geez. Very cool I can see how mobile the m14 can be, big differences. so you used a caddy optical drive bay for the third hdd right?

I really need to do a clean install on my new 840 evo, not sure on if I should stick with win 7 home or install win7 ultimate. Also I even have a key for windows 8 that i kinda don't wanna use.

ejohnson

Nope, no caddy. I need to have the option of playing dvd and blurays.

The m17x has 2 hdd bays, plus a msata bay and the bluray drive.
my m14x only has a msata drive, single hdd and the bluray.

I wish I could use one of my m11x's, but they are just too limited.
I do keep them all with me when I do gigs though. Got to have my backups.

I had to use one of the m11xs last wedding I did because I couldnt get sound to output from the m14x with the video slideshow.

shankc

Honestly now I feel the same way about my m17x. It is a little to big for the schoolbag, plus carrying around the big ass charger, geez. Very cool I can see how mobile the m14 can be, big differences. so you used a caddy optical drive bay for the third hdd right?

I really need to do a clean install on my new 840 evo, not sure on if I should stick with win 7 home or install win7 ultimate. Also I even have a key for windows 8 that i kinda don't wanna use.

Why don't you put windows 7 on ssd and windows 8 on the other or you could dual boot on ssd and then see which you prefer. Then you can have the best of both worlds and if you find you like one more than other just format partion. Their is plenty of freeware to do this. I think I used partition magic

MVLS CROWNZ

finally got my SSD to install win 7 ultimate. damn pain in the ass, thankfully I had to emailed DDub420 for some help. anyways I did any little login screen customization. (sorry for the glare)
20131009_185805_2_bestshot[1].jpg