test

Sudden performance issues. Any clues?

Grim Grey

So lately I have been having some major performance issues. My laptop seems to be running very slowly with everything now. It takes it longer to boot up, load programs (just launching chrome takes a long time), and gaming has been a mess.

Granted, I don't know as much as I should, but I've tried a few things already. My drivers are all up to date, I made sure my fans are clean and still working, tweaked a few settings, yet despite this I'm still having trouble.

I'm playing games that I've never had trouble running before, but suddenly they all seem to take forever to load and end up lagging and stuttering when they do.

I have enough space, too. Although I did have a message once when booting it up, that said if I didn't have enough space, try reseating the memory. I reseated it, the error message went away, but I am still having problems.

At this point, I'm completely clueless. It's frustrating and confusing. The only thing I can think of to do now is ask for help and advice from those who know more than I do. I would appreciate any feedback.

MattyB

I always find that a clean Windows installation done every few years keeps my main machine running well. Hopefully it isn't a hardware issue though. It's possible that your CPU, memory or HDD/SSD is having problems.
If you are running off an HDD then I would suggest to get yourself an SSD but most modern laptops ship with an SSD for the operating system so I would doubt that you have an HDD.
Firstly you can try running the pre-boot diagnostic just to check it's not hardware. Press F12 while booting and select the diagnostic. The memory tests are at the end and they can take a while to get through. If everything tests fine then I would save all your data on an external drive and reinstall Windows. Unfortunately the diagnostic isn't perfect and doesn't always pickup possible hardware issues.
You could try to do the Windows 10 system reset and keep all your data but I find the complete clean reinstall is better.
You can access the reset options through Settings - Update and Security. I believe it will give you the option to remove or keep you files or you can go to to Microsoft and use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool to Upgrade this PC or to make a bootable Windows 10 USB drive.

Just make sure you do some research before doing any of this just in case you lose data that you need.

Grim Grey

I always find that a clean Windows installation done every few years keeps my main machine running well. Hopefully it isn't a hardware issue though. It's possible that your CPU, memory or HDD/SSD is having problems.
If you are running off an HDD then I would suggest to get yourself an SSD but most modern laptops ship with an SSD for the operating system so I would doubt that you have an HDD.
Firstly you can try running the pre-boot diagnostic just to check it's not hardware. Press F12 while booting and select the diagnostic. The memory tests are at the end and they can take a while to get through. If everything tests fine then I would save all your data on an external drive and reinstall Windows. Unfortunately the diagnostic isn't perfect and doesn't always pickup possible hardware issues.
You could try to do the Windows 10 system reset and keep all your data but I find the complete clean reinstall is better.
You can access the reset options through Settings - Update and Security. I believe it will give you the option to remove or keep you files or you can go to to Microsoft and use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool to Upgrade this PC or to make a bootable Windows 10 USB drive.

Just make sure you do some research before doing any of this just in case you lose data that you need.
I forgot to mention in my post that I ran the diagnostic on startup. It finished and said that everything was fine. Although, like you said, I'm sure there could be something wrong that it didn't detect.

I'm actually not sure if it has an HDD or an SSD. That's also something I should look into.

I believe I will definitely try reinstalling Windows. That sounds like my best lead now. I'll be sure to do some research on it before doing anything. I've had this laptop for a couple of years now and it's always been pretty smooth. I'm not sure what it could be, but it sounds likely that this could help.

Thank you very much for the detailed response. I'll update the post afterwards.

MattyB

If you click on the Windows Icon and then the Documents icon and then select This PC it will show your available drives. Right click on your C drive and select properties. Choose the Hardware tab and it will give you the Name of you drive. It will usually have SSD somewhere in the name.
Make sure you save your important data first, even if you don't plan on doing a clean install, just in case.
Also, if you do a clean install then you will lose programs like Microsoft Office or other software you have installed. You need to make sure your Office subscription (or any other software) is linked to your Microsoft account or can be reinstalled from the provider without having to pay for it again.

MattyB

You'll also have to reinstall any Steam/Origin/Epic games. It is possible to transfer the game install files to an external drive and then bring them back over after the OS installation or you can just download them again. There is a bit involved with a clean installation so read up on it first to make sure you want to go through with it.
It's usually the best way to fix slowdown of a system that can happen over the years.

Grim Grey

You'll also have to reinstall any Steam/Origin/Epic games. It is possible to transfer the game install files to an external drive and then bring them back over after the OS installation or you can just download them again. There is a bit involved with a clean installation so read up on it first to make sure you want to go through with it.
It's usually the best way to fix slowdown of a system that can happen over the years.
I'm sorry for my late response. So yes, I did some research and decided to go through with it and reinstall windows 10 according to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=106&v=OtHZueEZe9s&feature=emb_logo (his second method).
It was a clean install. I saved a couple of things onto a usb drive and cleared everything else. Over two years of college, gaming, modding, and other things, I think there were a lot of miscellaneous things taking up space, so I enjoy having a fresh start.

After a couple of days of testing, I can already tell you that it has been running much better; opening chrome tabs and websites no longer take so long, neither does it take so long for apps to boot up. Also, I haven't been experience that annoying 'stuttering' in my games anymore. So overall, I think I would count this as the solution.

I appreciate the helpful feedback very much. I'm happy that I won't have to look into expensive diagnostics or investing into another PC entirely, at least not for a while longer. Thank you.

MattyB

Awesome! Nicely done. Drives can fill up with useless information over the years that can really impact performance. They can also degrade over time so sometimes splashing out for a new SSD can be a good idea too.