test

suddenly no power, can't turn the x51 on at all

adgalati

I posted another thread recently regarding a stripped screw on the wifi card. Not sure if this ordeal has anything to do with my current problem but it seems like it must. So over a week ago I replaced the wifi card but one of the screws became so stripped I had to drill it out. The only other thing I messed with inside the system was the heatsink because I needed room to get the screw out (reapplied thermal compound and everything). After I put everything back together, it worked just fine for over a week. Just yesterday, I turned on the computer in the morning, checked some stuff online, then left it alone. I came back to it like an hour later and it was off and I didn't remember turning it off so it must have just shut down by itself. Went to boot it back up and nothing. No response to the power button what so ever. (no lights, no fan). The led ring on the power supply is on and I've tried different outlets and nothing. I also did the power drain thing but that didn't help either. I've had this x51 for a little over 2 years and never had any problems so I can't help but think something got screwed up internally after the wifi card replacement, however, why would it take a week+ to affect the system. I really don't want to have to replace the computer so any suggestions on what I could check/do to figure out the problem that would be much appreciated.

I see You

Most likely you had some fine practicals of the screw on the mainboard, it must have shorted something out sorry to be the bad news, but you can get those boards off e-bay, and if i was you if you got one stick it in a new case and bypass all the other BS in there, you will never regret it.

adgalati

Yeah that's what I was worried about as I was drilling, and I knew it would have to come to getting an new board if anything happened. What would you advise in terms of a new case? I am not very experienced in taking apart/putting together computers so I'm pretty clueless on what mainboard and case to get that would be compatible with all the components that came with the x51.

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

also, are there some signs I should be looking for as I take it apart to make sure of what the problem exactly is? I just don't want to go and buy a new motherboard, put all the other components together with it and have it still not turn on. Basically, is there anything else besides a short somewhere on the motherboard that could cause this problem?

sorry for all the consecutive posts, but something new is happening now. I had put the desktop down flat on a chair as I planned to open it up again at some point to try and fix whatever is wrong. I recently decided to try to plug it in again and see what happens, I picked it up, shook it a few times to hear if anything was rattling around or something, and now it actually turns on but no POST. The lights and fan come on and a single beep occurs. I feel like I've heard that beep before when everything was fine but then I read how it is a sign of something wrong. I really don't understand why it would suddenly decide to power on after not doing so for a day.

I see You

Yeah that's what I was worried about as I was drilling, and I knew it would have to come to getting an new board if anything happened. What would you advise in terms of a new case? I am not very experienced in taking apart/putting together computers so I'm pretty clueless on what mainboard and case to get that would be compatible with all the components that came with the x51.

also, are there some signs I should be looking for as I take it apart to make sure of what the problem exactly is? I just don't want to go and buy a new motherboard, put all the other components together with it and have it still not turn on. Basically, is there anything else besides a short somewhere on the motherboard that could cause this problem?

sorry for all the consecutive posts, but something new is happening now. I had put the desktop down flat on a chair as I planned to open it up again at some point to try and fix whatever is wrong. I recently decided to try to plug it in again and see what happens, I picked it up, shook it a few times to hear if anything was rattling around or something, and now it actually turns on but no POST. The lights and fan come on and a single beep occurs. I feel like I've heard that beep before when everything was fine but then I read how it is a sign of something wrong. I really don't understand why it would suddenly decide to power on after not doing so for a day.

not sure why that would be but any case will do i put mine in a tower, all you will need is the mainboard , you can buy the x51 mainboard that way you dont have to redo the operating system, put the hard drive mainboard in new case, put a true psu to it like a 620 watt one will do. you will need a new dvd or blueray drive. here is a video of what mine looks like in a new case.

[video=youtube_share;6Q1NLX0T_F4]http://youtu.be/6Q1NLX0T_F4?list=UU5sVCFMCLH_fLr-HkT2Wetg[/video]