Suggestions on SSD use

BrokeHombre

Apr 15, 2013
USA
Hey everyone,
I had the small misfortune of my rig crashing on me due to a faulty driver upgrade/install and had to reload windows..
My rigs description is in my signature, as you can tell by that, I have an SSD where I reinstalled my OS (WIN8.1 Pro x64)
I chose to keep some of my settings intact. but for the most part it was a clean install. I also have a HDD where all my data and programs will be installed to, I plan on moving my personal folders to that drive by redirecting them there in the folder properties.
My questions are, should I just use the set up like that, or should I set up the SSD as a cache? What is the best practice for SSD use? Ive read where its best to turn of the paging file on an SSD, but I also read where that can cause issues with windows log files, true? I would like to get the best performance out of my rig, granted I mainly use it for work, but I also use it for gaming (WOW, World of Tanks, etc..) I also have a 1tb external HDD that I connect with a USB - I was thinking on using that drive as a mirror for back up purposes, any ideas or suggestions on that? I have plenty of ram (24gb) so I should be able to do almost anything...

Thanks in advance for any ideas, suggestions and advice!! This forum ROCKS! :D:D

BrokeHombre

Apr 15, 2013
USA
That's prolly what I will end up doing, just wantd to get some other input. tossing around the idea of getting an mSata drive, make use of that port instead of letting it go unused.

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

I ended up installing all drivers onto the SSD with the OS - I am happy with that, still have almost 100gig free.
Maelstrom and shankc - thanks for the suggestion and comments.

I need a bigger SSD in my m17x r3.

I put OS and my most used programs on the SSD, and I put steam and it's games on the HDD, and I got an external 2TB HDD to install more steam games. All of them are now full... so I want to upgrade the SSD to allow more room for games.

I usually put Blizzard and www.gog.com and Origin games on the SSD, and Steam games on the HDD's. And everything fills up so fast!