test

Tests to check hardware on a new X51

bveld

In couple of days I will be a happy owner of an Alienware X51. :cool:

My question is when it arrives what tests / benchmarks do you guys run to check that all hardware is working properly?

Also, in terms of drivers do you just update the latest drivers from the Alienware support site or you get drivers directly from the manufacture site instead. For example I would assume that for the GTX660 the drivers of Nvidia are a better choice.

Finally, I will only be playing Skyrim (with the high resolution texture pack) on full settings @ 1080p. My X51 will come with 8gb memory (only @ 1333 Mhz). At some point I was thinking to I purchase 16gb @ 1600 Mhz, but do you think that upgrading now would help Skyrim or I will be limited by other components anyway?

My X51's specs are the following:

Intel Core i7-3770, 3.4GHz, 8GB DDR3, 1333MHz, 2TB, S-ATA, 7200rpm, GeForce GTX660 1.536 GB GDDR5, Blu-Ray Combo, Windows7 Home Premium 64bit

jacobberke

alienware has something called Alien Auptosy, It check your whole computer from RAM to CPU.

MattyB

You wouldn't really notice any major difference with more RAM. Do it if you have the cash though.

I would get most of the drivers from Dell, use the Intel driver utility (link below) for a few others and definitely Nvidia for your graphics.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/graphics

Good luck with your new AW!!

yikes81

Congrats on your new machine. The 2 people before me beat me to the advice. Good luck with it!

Sent via Tapatalk

VagrantXeth

Alienautopsy works really well and it is included in your machine for free. But if you are looking to test the graphical prowess of your X51 and gain a more visceral sense of what you can do with it, Skyrim should do just fine.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III

bveld

Thanks for all the replies. I will definitely try Alienautospy.

Also, I just remembered that when I bought my laptop 7 years ago I used the suggestions of tweakguides.com for the tests. In his guide from page 413 (in the Win7 one) they are a list of applications that one can use to test his system.

So for Skyrim I guess I will just stick to the 8gb for now if the improvement would be negligible.

jacobberke

Thanks for all the replies. I will definitely try Alienautospy.

Also, I just remembered that when I bought my laptop 7 years ago I used the suggestions of tweakguides.com for the tests. In his guide from page 413 (in the Win7 one) they are a list of applications that one can use to test his system.

So for Skyrim I guess I will just stick to the 8gb for now if the improvement would be negligible.

No Problem.