The Alienware 18 DMC slot

jcalienware

Feb 19, 2014
Wirral
Hi again all

Just taken my 18 apart to see what's available on the inside re upgrades :)

Well I know that you can take out the Blu-ray drive and add another dual caddy which I have tested and fits great, you just have to reverse the screws to fit to the already there holes.

I have also found a DMC 20140306_203220.jpg slot (top right of pic) although on mine it doesn't have the plastic slot installed. This is not an issue for me as I trained as surface mount tech.

So my question is....what can this be used for as I have been Googling it for a while but haven't found out much info.

Hope someone knows :)

jcalienware

Feb 19, 2014
Wirral
Hi again all

Just taken my 18 apart to see what's available on the inside re upgrades :)

Well I know that you can take out the Blu-ray drive and add another dual caddy which I have tested and fits great, you just have to reverse the screws to fit to the already there holes.

I have also found a DMC View attachment 1251 slot (top right of pic) although on mine it doesn't have the plastic slot installed. This is not an issue for me as I trained as surface mount tech.

So my question is....what can this be used for as I have been Googling it for a while but haven't found out much info.

Hope someone knows :)

I have found out it can be for many uses including WI-FI HD, extra MSATA (but this isn't confirmed as bootable), all sorts of conversions to stuff like USB ports etc.

The problem is getting the hardware to install it to the board. The only way I can think of doing this is to buy either a broken Alienware board and remove it myself as trying to find a source for this is proving difficult.

If and when I do this I will post back with what happens and what I used in this slot.