test

The Hellcat.

ALXAndy

Cheers. Not looking forward to taking it apart AGAIN but hopefully it'll be the last time for another three years.

I got a wee baby the other day.

So I've had plenty to do lol.

MattyB

There was a lot of hate for the X51. I always thought it had its place in the home as a secondary machine, usually attached to the TV in the living room. I still use mine.

ALXAndy

I bought it for £85 "not working". It said "Black screen white text no boot". I figured it was a dead hard drive. Cleaned it all up, replaced the drive. The old drive I had must have taken a whack as it didn't work. Put the WD red back in there and installed Windows and...

It is bone stock and hasn't been molested. Has an I5 Ivy in it with 8gb ram and a dvd etc. GPU is pants (GT 640 1gb) but I just bought this for £40.

I've put this in there also.

I want it for my bedroom for streaming and light gaming (think Fallout 1, 2, BOS tactics and so on). I really didn't want to buy another Android device to stream from my NAS with as they have no other use really. But yeah, I think people got excited and never took these in context. With anything that small there's going to be a price to pay. They're never going to be belting out the latest games on Ultra, that's daft.

MattyB

Perfect. We use ours for streaming mostly too.
Mine has a 3770 and 3GB 1060. Just be warned that your GPU will probably heat up and run on full fans most of the time, when gaming. I went against my own advice and didn't get a reference style card with rear blower fan and while I was playing Fallout 3, I had to remove the side panel.

ALXAndy

I doubt I will really even use it for anything but Fallout 1. I can't see that making anything very hot.

OK so today I tested the 2070 and benched it against my other rig with the 2070 Super. All went well, very happy with the performance. Then I tried to fit the block.

Note, tried. It wouldn't fit. It seems Asus do about 12 models of this exact same card with the same cooler on, the difference is the PCB. I felt sick tbh.

Any way, I did find a block that fits but it wasn't anything even close to cheap.

I don't even really like EK, but I do like the look better in black. The problem is that some of their Dual cards look like this (stock with digital ICs)

And some look like this.

The info is ridiculously cloudy, and they hide the ICs in photos so you don't know what you are getting until it arrives. You can see here what EK have done to make this block fit.

So yeah, whilst I don't really like EK I'd have been pretty screwed without them. I'd already taken the card apart and "voided"* the warranty, and I can't use it on air and have no other use for it given my AFH rig has a 2070 super in it already.

*I'd have possibly fought that, but I really didn't want to have to.

ALXAndy

It fought me. I discovered an issue I wasn't even aware of, which is why I went through three GPU ribbons. Seems the ground pins on the 8 pin had worked themselves loose. So the 2070 was not happy at all, and eventually dropped a message about not even having the power plugged in.

It's fine now. I just need an adapter for the RGB. It works, but my one broke (I made it, the pins were too fat and wouldn't go in and snapped).

And that should be about it.

justwantadownload2

My R1 ist performing great since today...no comparison with your optical mods of course! My new 5700 XT Nitro + SE ist just great :)
Borderlands 3 @1440p @Ultra looks insane...IMG_0459.JPG