The New Beast from Alienware: Area-51 R2 Pro vs Con

Cass-Olé

{I have requested the Admins here - & on my hands & knees at that - to remove my prior remarks, which they have generously done as some of you can see. I will offer my form of a public apology to anyone who's time I wasted reading what used to exist here. This, in the interest a sense of decorum could be restored to this thread & more important to this forum, something I obviously had taken away from it. I feared the remarks stifled new conversation & new dialougue on the new R2, pro or con. Whether my prior words will have proved right or wrong regarding the new '1500w' psu in R2, they detracted from the overall conversation. If I am right about it, then I told ya so. If I am wrong about it, I apologize ahead of time for having wasted your precious time. The Château Haut-Brion & the sense of being a jilted lover got the better of me on that night. The remarks would have been removed well ago, had the edit function not been lost to me. I hope you can respect the fact I am trying to humble myself here, regardless the outcome of the impetus to the original rant.} alienware-area-51-5.jpg

Order has now been restored. Aware's resurrected the Area 51 desktop: it's undergone quite a remarkable change in the process &'s unquestionably more powerful than the R1. It has what it takes on the inside, but how does it fair in your mind in its presentation? Execution? Are you moved by the new design, or are you still left wanting? Feel free to weigh in w/your opinions on the internal/external merits of the new R2. No matter what, R2 is now a part of the species, a part of the family, & love it or hate it, we need to welcome it in & be thankful it's even there: for the day might come when we need to gut one out for its updated mthrbrd & latest hardware, to keep our R1's a little more up to date w/a true born & bred Area51 pedigree attached to it. I would invite you now to renew the debate & offer your finer opinions & critiques: sing your praise or lodge your complaint about the newest Beast from Alienware. If you posted here already, do weigh in again, since your opinions belonged here 1st & foremost.

moondog

I personally like the 2009-2010 area-51 a bit better but I think the Triad is also a very nice computer but if I were to buy a triad I would wait a year or two because I know they will also release an ALX version soon. Thanks for the post Cass-Olé.

tahiti

I put in my order:

5960X
16GB DDR4
256GB SSD + 4TB HDD 6K RPM
3 x nVIDIA GTX 980
1500W PSU
Blu-Ray

Cass-Olé

Good man: yours is spec'd out in definite Beast Mode, bringin' a gun to a gun fight, that's the only way to play. Here's hoping you get a speedy build & delivery.

Cass-Olé

"The Queen is innocent?!". We have a fellow grey who posted a side label photo of his new Area-51 1.5kW. It's an 80Plus Gold, by Delta, four 12v rails, 1440watts combined max. Not too shabby. It's slightly less powerful & a tad less efficient then Corsair ax1500i, & comes in a tad pricier @ $465. delta 1500w.jpgCapture.jpg You can find its 80plus rating on { http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/80PlusPowerSupplies.aspx } under the Dell tab, 1500w, very bottom. I'm happy to report that Alienware have redeemed themselves here, relative to the R1's whimpy '1200'w units & their shocking $ tag. Do yourself a favor & order the 1500w now, it currently comes in @ a mere $200 option @ checkout. Worth it.

If you feel the need @ some point to have this 1500watter in your R1 over an ax1500i, I wouldn't blame ya for being a purist. The modular case harness looks like it has its own part#, unconfirmed if it is sold separate. From there, you make your own m i/o 10pin cable. I edited in some ideas on doing this swap-in on the Dell Alienware Club { http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19540327 }@ the very bottom of the post.

It's good to know R2 got some admirable gear from the Creator. Givin a shout-out n' the head's up. Looks like a psu worth keeping in there, though it'll draw 1700watts from your electrical outlet to output the full 1500w ... got tri-gpu's? Find an outlet in your pad w/a 20amp breaker if it's got one.

Last edited:

Cass-Olé

On February 8th I installed the new Delta into my R1 ALX, I have typed out most of the revised how-to as I stated in the link above, now again here: { http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19540327 }. I have done a companion critique of the 1440w max 12v Delta on the Dell AlienwareClub forum here: The ALX-Files: A Triad of Power Supply Swaps. Area-51 Aurora XPS 730x ... How to Make an Area-51 R1.44 Using the r2's New 1440w Delta ... Lessons In the PSU Swap Done Right { http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19618380 }. the new Delta may be fit for the Triad, I myself have questioned its practicality in R1. My revised estimate is that the Delta may in fact be about a $450 power supply w/cables when optioned for at checkout, where it is $200 yes, but about a $250 built-in cost as you option out of the 850 you're still required to pay for as part of the base asking price. The estimate includes the fact of the $465 chassis price as quoted to me above in my chatlog. I hold a lower opinion now of the Delta after having bought it & seen it, so do be warned my critique is graphic in nature, both against it & the Triad. I don't like Triad, I doubt I ever will, sorry. I am posting here to appraise the R1 owners the Delta can find a home inside R1, but begs the question if it should. Going through the trouble & cost of a psu swap is bad enough, I would probably recommend an aftermarket unit w/lasting warranty, since our R1's simply need more than the Delta has to offer us. If you score the Delta for cheap like I did, you can use my how-to to get started & contact me if u need advice, here or there. I will not be making any conversion kits for the Delta, you're on your own. When I make this Delta its own finished cable set, I will post the photos there so you can get a grip on what I did to pull the swap off. My revised advice for the R2 owner: buy the 850, and if u want true 1500watts or 1600watts platinum or titanium, with 140mil fan? Buy it from anyone other then Alienware, They got a little bit cheap on the new Delta, same way they got cheap on the original R1 psu's, like I said from the start. I am not here to start or finish a war of words over R1 vs R2. I've posted to give the heads up the Delta can be integratded. I question now the validity of the R2 x99 mthrbrd inside R1, since better mthrbrds are out there right now, however I do have an option open to me now to complete the R2 hardware swap in my ALX if an x99 board goes for cheap on eBay. If so, I might try it, would document the swap in the AlienClub.
PTDC0027.jpgPTDC0060.jpg

Last edited:

RmeGi7

Just got mine this past Monday! Gonna Post a video later this evening!

i7 5960X@4.2
Liquid cooled
2x SLI GTX 980's
16g of ram@2133
256 SSD/4TB Storag
27" ASUS Monitor
G35 Headset

Fireguy71

Hey RmeGi7, aren't these thing amazing. I have dual 770's the 980's must be wild.

RmeGi7

Yes, I had dual 780's with the R4. I'm so happy! You have the 5820?