The new RTX 2070 could fit/work in the alienware x51 r2?

Well crap, I did not realize the Asus card was longer than the Nvidia specs. It probably will not fit. My 2070 is supposed to arrive Friday. I went ahead and ordered a graphics amplifier. I guess I will have to use that until something smaller is made
Try if you can install first the asus before using the amplifier.I'm interested in the asus too.

Another card: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-2070-KR

I firmly believe the asus card would fit. This are the spec of the asus 1080 founders edition the same card of the youtube video:

26.67 x 11.12 x3.81 cm.

And these are the spec of the asus 2070:

26.8 x 11.3 x 4 Centimeter

It's nearly the same.

The zotac is 26.8 x 11.3 x 3,8 Centimeter

Last edited:

Bartosh

I found another problem and is the power connector. Only the zotac and pny uses a 8 x 1 pin connector and the others uses 8-pin x 1, 6-pin x 1.

So only the zotac and pny is going to work. And the zotac is the most smallest one of all so i think it's the best choice to try in the x51.

Jordan1flores

Not sure why not. The highest temp I have seen so far is 62. This is much better then the sli gtx770 blower style cards that came with the system.
You were able to fit this card in the x51 r2? Despite the length being 10.6 inches, the height being 4.5 and the slot width being 2.75? Did you have to take the hard drive out? Or make any changes such as removing the fan?

Fireguy71

You were able to fit this card in the x51 r2? Despite the length being 10.6 inches, the height being 4.5 and the slot width being 2.75? Did you have to take the hard drive out? Or make any changes such as removing the fan?
sorry guys my mistake. I have the bigger area51 not the x51.

Jordan1flores

I managed to successfully install an Asus RTX 2070 Turbo in my X51 R3 (replaced a 970). Had to remove the front fan to make way for the one 6-pin to 8-pin adapter from Amazon. Very pleased with the speed bump and stable performance. That double ball-bearing Asus fan on that card is really nice and relatively quiet!
Awesome! Glad to know. You had enough room for the height of the card? Any cons removing the fan?

M3Rocket

Awesome! Glad to know. You had enough room for the height of the card? Any cons removing the fan?
Yes--it's tight getting it in there, and there is some pressure from the cables if you don't get a right-angled cable (harder to find). The fan space was very useful to accommodate the right angle of the original connector and the 6- to 8-pin adapter. I also scissors to cut off the extra long tab to make it easier putting the card in.

Removing the fan had a big drawback: On boot, the BIOS would give a Bad Fan warning, and you have to press F1 to continue. So I installed a 4-pin 60x60x10mm fan to the upper compartment blowing up through the vents to help exhaust hot air since I had room (no optical drive unit). That got rid of the error. The original fan in the lower compartment was REALLY noisy, and is not much quieter without it. Plus I use an SSD and not hard drive, so I had more room and adequate cooling and the bottom vents were not blocked off.

Jordan1flores

Yes--it's tight getting it in there, and there is some pressure from the cables if you don't get a right-angled cable (harder to find). The fan space was very useful to accommodate the right angle of the original connector and the 6- to 8-pin adapter. I also scissors to cut off the extra long tab to make it easier putting the card in.

Removing the fan had a big drawback: On boot, the BIOS would give a Bad Fan warning, and you have to press F1 to continue. So I installed a 4-pin 60x60x10mm fan to the upper compartment blowing up through the vents to help exhaust hot air since I had room (no optical drive unit). That got rid of the error. The original fan in the lower compartment was REALLY noisy, and is not much quieter without it. Plus I use an SSD and not hard drive, so I had more room and adequate cooling and the bottom vents were not blocked off.
Awesome! Thanks for the explanation! Any problems as far as running heavy load games? I’m assuming your using a 330 watt power supply?

8*sectorb6

FYI Dell parts still list GTX 1060 6 gig blower GPU around 370 us dollars.

the card should fix without any mods