The new RTX 2070 could fit/work in the alienware x51 r2?

Aegizt

Hello,
I'm successfully install msi RTX 2070 aero in my X51 R2 (replace evga GTX 980). Quick swap, install driver, and no problem so far. 6pin to 8pin adapter give me hard time though.

*Edit: add pic

Last edited:

Jordan1flores

Hello,
I'm successfully install msi RTX 2070 aero in my X51 R2 (replace evga GTX 980). Quick swap, install driver, and no problem so far. 6pin to 8pin adapter give me hard time though.
Glad to hear. I plan on ordering that GPU soon. Did you have to swap fan? Which adapter did you get?

Iamhydrogen

Yes, I've been swap 20mm fan to 10mm one since gtx 980.
I got mine from Here, it's 90 degree cable but the one i got is facing in opposite direction.
So just the fan swap and not other mods. I remember some 1070 installs cut some pieces out to make room for the cabling. I am hoping for a RTX 2060 that will fit but there isn't a lot of information on some of the blower models.

So just the fan swap and not other mods. I remember some 1070 installs cut some pieces out to make room for the cabling. I am hoping for a RTX 2060 that will fit but there isn't a lot of information on some of the blower models.
The 2070 works perfect.

M3Rocket

Awesome! Thanks for the explanation! Any problems as far as running heavy load games? I’m assuming your using a 330 watt power supply?
I have a X51 R3, so yes, the 330W PS with a CPU that is liquid-cooled (less room in the upper compartment than a fan) without an optical drive.

It can all be installed without any cuts. Just a tight fit. I cut the useless portion of the tab off that holds the front fascia not because I had to, but because it makes the insertion of the card way easier than having to deal with that hanging piece of plastic in the way of inserting the new longer card. I do think the extra space of not having a fan in the bottom helps with the cabling if you get the correct right-angle 8-pin to 6-pin adapter.

LukeUBN4IT

The asus card actually will fit. I got it in my R3 the other day, but needed to change to a different power adapter. I’ll see if I can post a video soon

Aegizt

Yes, just swap the fan. But you also will need a 6-pin to 8-pin adapter or 2x6pin to 8 pin one if you use the zotac model.
No need to cut anyting, it's tight in there but it's fit.

brittany

I was able to fit the Asus 2060 turbo in my x3. The Zotac did not seem to have a 2060 blower model. The only 2060 blower I could find was the Asus for $390 on Amazon.

I've never changed any computer parts before this so some things I wish I knew/that I think might he helpful for people in a similar situation:

1. I was able to get one screw out of the fan and then had to crack a corner to fully remove it. Its held in by 2 screws. Taking the first one out gives you the leverage to crack the other one. This will be necessary unless you want to take apart a ton of stuff.

2. You will need a 8 pin to dual 6 pin gpu power adapter and you need a right angled head for the 8 pin. The wires were too long otherwise and there was not enough room in between the edge of the card and the case. It would always go in but be at a weird angle. I've only found 1 such example of this: https://kareonkables.com/products/90-degree-dual-6-pin-to-8-pin-pci-e-high-output-adapter. There may be others but you definitely need something like that. Unless you want to start cutting the metal on the back of the cage that holds the gpu.

3. Just cut the plastic tab from the case that hangs in the way of inserting the card. This doesn't have any real impact and makes your life a lot easier. I was able to use scissors for this.

4. You will get an error when starting up your PC after removing the fan. Some people have gotten a replacement fan but I've monitored all my temps and there hasn't been any issue without the fan. I've used my PC to play VR games with no heat issues.

Last edited:

brittany

what about this one?
View attachment 2572
The general recommendation is to only use a gpu with a blower type fan, like this one,(https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-Gaming-GeForce-256-bit-Graphics/dp/B07JB9YY8V) due to the compact nature of the pc. There are people who have installed 1 fan cards into their x51s, but it is more of a risk.

Blackice000

There are too many video cards to choose from! I have the 1060 now (EVGA) and would like to get better performance in vr. Which GTX would be the best bang for the buck a RTX 2060 or 2070 I know a blower is essential, but which brand and which card... 6 or 8 gb?

I have an X51 R3 with the 330watt PS.

Thanks!

Rick

There are too many video cards to choose from! I have the 1060 now (EVGA) and would like to get better performance in vr. Which GTX would be the best bang for the buck a RTX 2060 or 2070 I know a blower is essential, but which brand and which card... 6 or 8 gb?

I have an X51 R3 with the 330watt PS.

Thanks!

Rick
zotac rtx 2070 8gb or the asus model.