The new RTX 2070 could fit/work in the alienware x51 r2?

Blackice000

TenienteRipley,
Thanks for the rapid reply. Would you have the exact model numbers. i see many Zotacs, but none with blower fans. I'd prefer the Asus as i have several of their cards already. Which part #?

Thanks!

Rick

Andi

Hello again,

the 2070 is much too expensive at the moment.

Is there a 2060 that fit into the X51 R2 without mods?

Greetings

Andreas

Hello again,

the 2070 is much too expensive at the moment.

Is there a 2060 that fit into the X51 R2 without mods?

Greetings

Andreas
For the 2070 you don't need any mod. Just remove the front fan and that's all.

Andi

Thanks. I am searching for the 2060.

I dont want to remove any fans.

btankwart

Last edited:

btankwart

I use a dual 6 pin to 1-8 pin but with one 6 pin to 8 pin works ok. Finally the 90 degree is recommended but not necessary(i'm not using it).

This is the cable i'm using https://www.amazon.com/GutsParker-6-Pin-Female-8-Pin-Cable/dp/B01N3T6C2K/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
All right, then I'll use the angled 6 pin to 8 pin cable to extend one of the existing cables and connect the card that way. Many thanks for the quick answer and wish me luck for the change.

leoport

So I went with the Zotac, 2x6pin to 8pin adapter, 10mm fan relocated to the top as exhaust. I didn't get a right-angle power adapter, so it was a pretty tight/smashed fit. I haven't stress tested it much, but things seem fine (temp sensors not higher).

One issue though: the Alienware monitor app shows the GPU fan at 0rpm. Anyone else see an issue like this? Does the fan kick in after a certain temp? Is the app not reporting correctly? I'm hoping it's not something blocking/preventing the fan from spinning :-/

Jordan1flores

H
So I went with the Zotac, 2x6pin to 8pin adapter, 10mm fan relocated to the top as exhaust. I didn't get a right-angle power adapter, so it was a pretty tight/smashed fit. I haven't stress tested it much, but things seem fine (temp sensors not higher).

One issue though: the Alienware monitor app shows the GPU fan at 0rpm. Anyone else see an issue like this? Does the fan kick in after a certain temp? Is the app not reporting correctly? I'm hoping it's not something blocking/preventing the fan from spinning :-/
Hey buddy Gratz on getting the GPU in.

My experience is Alienware monitor app is not very accurate. I’d download a third party monitoring program to check the GPU fan. Usually, it turns on when you play a graphics demanding application or game. When I installed my 2070. I had the same issue but once I downloaded a third party app it told me the fan was working. If it doesn’t work, I would reconnect the gpu wires and reseat it. Also, make sure cables are not between the hard drive and the GPU fan.

Good luck.

leoport

H

Hey buddy Gratz on getting the GPU in.

My experience is Alienware monitor app is not very accurate. I’d download a third party monitoring program to check the GPU fan. Usually, it turns on when you play a graphics demanding application or game. When I installed my 2070. I had the same issue but once I downloaded a third party app it told me the fan was working. If it doesn’t work, I would reconnect the gpu wires and reseat it. Also, make sure cables are not between the hard drive and the GPU fan.

Good luck.
Good call. Hwinfo shows it's working just fine. Thanks!

DaveS

Installed a Palit rtx 2060 Super GP OC into my X51 R3 with 6700K, 3.5" hard drive (+ NVMe boot drive), 330W PSU.
Works very well after case disassembly to reverse small front mount fan so that non-blower style GPU would be Exhausted from the case.
Palit GPU is sized well (physical dimensions and power requirements) to fit without mods (other than fan reversal + 6-pin to 8-pin PCIe power adapter). Seems to work very well. nVidia RTX cards (2060, 2060 Super and 2070) should also work well without too much drama. Great upgrade for our X51.

pandu_wii

Its not a blower design.

Will this be too hot in the case?
well it depends.. you can reverse front fan to blow hot air out from case
BUT.. blower type is always the best option

Installed a Palit rtx 2060 Super GP OC into my X51 R3 with 6700K, 3.5" hard drive (+ NVMe boot drive), 330W PSU.
Works very well after case disassembly to reverse small front mount fan so that non-blower style GPU would be Exhausted from the case.
Palit GPU is sized well (physical dimensions and power requirements) to fit without mods (other than fan reversal + 6-pin to 8-pin PCIe power adapter). Seems to work very well. nVidia RTX cards (2060, 2060 Super and 2070) should also work well without too much drama. Great upgrade for our X51.
nice to know that. care to share how much temps?