The new RTX 2070 could fit/work in the alienware x51 r2?

DaveS

Haven't done anything but subjective tests on this. Turning the front fan around to exhaust the heat made the biggest difference of all. My son says the 2060 Super is faster and quieter than the previous 1060 card (especially with the reversed fan). Civ VI and other fairly demanding games appear to run cooler with lower temperatures and fan activity. I'll post something a little more objective when I get a chance.

MattyB

Do you have any issues with negative air pressure once you flip the fan around? Both fans will be pushing air out without any clean air easily coming in the case. Have you kept the CPU fan shroud on?

DaveS

Time will tell if dust sucked in through gaps and holes in the case causes problems - we'll have to be a little vigilant cleaning. As far as reversing the front fan for exhaust purposes it appears to have had a beneficial result on our non-blower GPU. The little fan worked so hard in our previous setup (also a non-blower 1060) that the hot air was trapped in the bay with no place to go, except to throttle down the GPU eventually. No fan would have been better in this scenario. The riser card/GPU/HDD bay is quite a packed location blocking airflow from above anyway - exhausting the hot air is the only way to make things a little better with a non-blower GPU in an X51 chassis. My case is the R3, so water cooled CPU, no shroud as in the R2.

MattyB

Ahh I've never actually seen inside the R3. I have a non-blower 1060 (small form factor 3GB) in my R1 but I don't use it for gaming so it isn't pushed very hard. I was hoping to get a 1060 FE but they were still pretty expensive at the time.

DaveS

The 330W power supply is a necessity for power hogging GPUs. Our 6Gb single-fan EVGA 1060 was a bit stressed in heavy 1080p gaming, but this is likely due to the front fan being in the standard position, which wasn't a good idea. It has been a remarkable test for us to install the rtx 2060 Super in the same R3 system, with the i7-6700K CPU (91W TDP itself), a 7200rpm 3.5" HDD, 32GB RAM, 512GB nvme boot drive and have enough power to run heavy 1080p games, good VR without significant drama. Naturally the X51 case is a bit restrictive in many ways, but I'm glad it's managed some decent upgrades over the past 3 years. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the watercooling. It does take up more room in the case - doesn't look particularly leak-proof or easy to "bleed" the gurgling air from the system either. There is more space around the CPU in the R3, which helps when upgrading RAM, but doesn't really help with GPU cooling. I do like to purchase upgrade components that can be used in other less-restrictive builds, which is why a non-blower GPU was a more useful choice.

Blackice000

Hmmm what about an RTX 2070 SUPER?

I am sure there will be RTX SUPER blower GPU cards eventually. I am looking for a right now-ish upgrade to extend the life of my Oculus VR gaming (mostly flight sim)

Rick

DaveS

I thought about this too. Most 2070 Super cards are physically larger than their 2070 counterparts due to their being based on the 2080 platform. Also their TDP numbers are significantly greater (215W or more). If you could modify the power settings and get these to run within the X51 330W constraints, then it might be possible although I haven't as yet found anyone who has done this or even tested this kind of scenario. The challenge always is to find something that fits within the dimensional and power constraints of the X51.

The EVGA RTX 2070 Super Gaming card might fit within the physical dimensions (with 10mm thick front fan replacement) but the power settings would likely need adjustment. It is a blower style card, which might work out well too.
https://www.newegg.ca/evga-geforce-rtx-2070-super-08g-p4-3070-kr/p/N82E16814487455

One 6 to 8-pin pcie power adapter should work OK, but cable fit will be tight!