test

The strangest thing just happened...

Maelstrom

So I shut down my M14x after a while of gaming to let it cool down and when I started it up again everything was slow and sluggish. After I managed to get task manager running and some other monitoring software up I noticed that the resource monitory said that four of the CPUs (threads) where 'parked.' I'm assuming that means deactivated because it showed no activity on those threads. And furthermore I noticed that the CPUs that where still running where stuck at 800MHz. At this point it occurred to me that it could have started in Safe Mode for some reason so I restarted. At this point everything seems to be running fine again except that the resource monitory still says that four of the threads are 'parked.' But the remaining ones are no longer locked and are free to be controlled by Turbo Boost. Currently I'm using AlienAutopsy to do a full hardware and software scan and see if anything is wrong. If any of you have any idea what's wrong or what I can do to fix it (short of a restore) it would be much appreciated. :)

yikes81

Wow, that vid looks cool. I am at work and all my cores are running, but I want to go home and check this out now. Thanks for the vid!!

VagrantXeth

Wow, just wow. That video was extremely helpfull, I was apparently not utilizing all of my cores but thanks to the vid (Thanks xGeorgeBP btw) now I am. Since I just did it I have yet to see an improvement, but will post if I do! I am using an X51 (i7 model) for those wondering.

Maelstrom

Ok, so before the wierd thing with my processor happened I was actually using all my cores all the time. And now that it has happened I don't actually see any difference in performance but now I have less heat. I do see the 'parked' cores kick in sometimes but I actually prefer the way it is now.

I never knew my cores were "parked" now thanks to the vid utilizing full potential. Still have to notice any changes though

yikes81

I think you will notice the difference when you actually push the cores a little harder than when you are just idling and watching them.
What tasks are you guys running when expecting to see any difference?

No I'm not "expecting" to see any difference, just saying everything seems to work as always, when gaming and doing other stuff.

Maelstrom

I've noticed that having some of them parked doesn't really decrease performance. You would expect that having all of them active would make a difference but it doesn't really seem to. And when you actually do a task that requires a lot of power the parked ones kick on anyway. The only thing I would see benefiting from unparking them is if they were stuck that way.

yikes81

So in essence, it is agreed that this is a good thing, unless one of the cores does not come out of parked when required.

Maelstrom

Yeah, I think that this is primarily to save battery for laptops so I'm going to leave it alone.

yikes81

I checked mine while it was plugged in and the cores would go in and out of parked every now and then. So I do not think that it is taking away from performance.

Last edited: