The Walking Dead

VagrantXeth

Fans of the series (either comic or television or both) will be elated to know that Robert Kirkman will be closely involved in the video game adaptation of arguably the best Zombie franchise in existence. While details have been sparse at best, this much is for sure. The game will release in an episodic format (likely in the form of DLC) and the narrative will follow the comic books as opposed to the AMC television series. The art direction will be reminiscent of what you find in the comics however the storyline will be entirely new. To ensure continuity, Mr. Kirkman has been heavily involved in overseeing that the story remains true to what has been penned thusfar. Now the gameplay is not going to be a frag fest ala Left 4 Dead, instead they will be following a more story driven mechanic in which players will be treated to branching story lines and decisions whose consequences impact later episodes (i.e. a character lives and will carry on in the next chapter).

Now, I for one am eager to see how this all pans out and would love to play the game itself. But I think action fans would have appreciated a co-op version like Left 4 Dead (I would love to see a mod of this) since the gameplay in that story seems ripe for such a treatment. Whichever way you slice it, I think this one will be one to look out for!

Opinions?

Last edited:

Checkmate

Can't wait! I for one am not for the frag fest type games these days. The story angle with decision trees should be interesting.

VagrantXeth

It should be, although I enjoy the action from time to time, I think that the narrative wouild be best conveyed in a game that emphasizes a strong campaign with solid story elements.

VagrantXeth

Going back to the art direction, the graphics are going to resemble the comics via a cell shaded engine along the lines of something like Borderlands. (On a different note, is it me or does Rage seem alot like Borderlands)

cat

Been reading the Walking Dead graphic novels for a while and also love playing games.

Hope it is not like either Left 4 Dead or Dead Island, but more like Borderlands Zombie Island of Dr. Ned.
Zombies dont see you from a mile away and only notice when you get too close.
With more limited ammo and hopefully a leveling system with a single life though also having the option to save the game in case of death. (hardcore mode without)

VagrantXeth

Definitely, the save system (or lack of) in the Left 4 Dead series left something to be desired. I was so put aback by it that I did not even bother picking up the second one. Sure the co-op was fun, but it seemed like too much of the focus without really allowing those who wanted to campaign through it to do so. I believe The Walking Dead will differ in that regard since it is more story driven than Left 4 Dead.

deadremix

theres gonna be a game coming out for this series?!?! sweet, i love the tv series hope the game will be good

VagrantXeth

I think the game has potential, I just don't know if the way it is being done will do the series justice. I think a full retail release would give it a better chance to pick up a good following, episodic DLC, now that is questionable. I see games like Sam & Max and the Back to the Future games enjoy marginal success, but not the numbers that had been initially expected despite their popularity. I hope that The Walking Dead game will be the breakthrough hit that makes other devs consider the option of releasing episodic content that adds to the story as opposed to just stupid map packs that treat gamers to peicemeal content.

wilbymilstone

This is the first I have heard of this. I need to check the news feeds better. The show is great and getting better every week. I hope the game is amazing.

Eirreann

This is the first I have heard of this. I need to check the news feeds better. The show is great and getting better every week. I hope the game is amazing.
Same here! But for the love of all things holy don't release anything! I'm only on episode 4 of season 2, and I already know that Dale dies!!! I'm a sobbing wreck! (thanks a lot, Dantheman!!!)