The Xeonmorph - My X51 R2

nickthaskater

Build details and photos

After selling my old Nano S build more than a year ago, I have been using my old Lenovo Y410P laptop as a "desktop" come furnace (they tend to kill themselves by overheating).

A couple of weeks ago, I lucked into a free Alienware X51 R2. It was running an i5-4440 with 4GB+8GB of mismatched RAM, no storage, crappy Dell Wi-Fi with no Bluetooth, a GTX 960, and the base 240W power supply. It wasn't much, but it was mine.

Over the following weeks, I have been busy wheeling and dealing to get the build to the point where it was at least as "good" as my Nano S build was. This is the result:

CPU | Intel - Xeon E3-1240 V3 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Memory | Kingston - HyperX Fury Red 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage | Kingston - A400 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage | Team - L5 LITE 3D 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Wireless Network Adapter | Intel - 7260 Mini-PCI-Express 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter
CPU Cooler| Intel heatsink w/ Noctua NF R8 redux
Motherboard| Alienware X51 R2 MS-7796 H87
Graphics Card| MSI Radeon RX480 4GB Reference
PSU| Dell 330 Watt
Case| Alienware X51 R2

A quick taste of what it can do:

Cinebench R15
  • Multi core: 736cb
  • Single core: 156cb
Fire Strike 1.1
  • Overall: 11,163
  • Graphics: 14,224
  • Physics: 10,022
  • Combined: 4,569
It feels great to be back!

MattyB

Staff member
Nice work.
I recently dusted off (literally) my old X51 R1 which has been in pieces for years. I grabbed a cheap small form factor 1060 off eBay (not reference so we'll see how it goes...) and a new SSD. Spent last night reinstalling Windows and Drivers.
It has the 3770 in there but I have a 3770K in another machine which hasn't been used in years so maybe I'll see if I can get away with a small overclock in the X51.
My wireless adapter doesn't seem to work at all anymore so maybe I'll try the one you've got.
I'll try to run some benchmarks and see how my heat goes. I'm sure it will be somewhat better than the old GTX 555 that I pulled out of it.

nickthaskater

Nice work.
Thanks! It has been fun cleaning it up and bringing out its potential. I look forward to exploring future upgrades like a 120mm intake over the power board and an upgraded CPU heatsink/fan. Seeing some of the work that's been done on here in the past is inspiring.

Can the motherboard in the R1 overclock K chips? That's about the only thing I'm missing with my H87 setup - no overclocking or even forcing all-core turbo. It's a shame that Z87 and Z97 boards are so ridiculously expensive these days.

MattyB

Staff member
I put a silent CPU fan in mine a while back which works well but the stock heatsink isn't that great.

I hadn't thought about the limitations with the mobo. I'll have to do some research.

MattyB

Staff member
Yeah, no overclock for me. Oh well, I'll probably sell the old 3770K. They are still getting decent money.

MattyB

Staff member
It's stored away in a box somewhere at my mother-in-laws while we wait to move into our new house in a week or so.