test

To upgrade my M18x or to buy new? That is the question..

MattyB

I need some input from anyone who wants to give it. I currently have an M18x R2 as you can see in my signature panel. I am debating whether or not to sell this one and buy a new AW 17 or maybe upgrade this one with 2 brand new 780's. Buying a new 18 with dual 780's is not an option.
I just need to hear what others may think. I have a habit of jumping into decisions too quickly.
I realize that there is also a third option which is to just be happy with what I have. I'm not too interested in that one :p

If I sell this one I will get around $2000 or a little more. If I was to buy a new AW 17 it will cost about $3500 for one with a 780. This will obviously cost me about $1500. Or, for $1800 I can upgrade my current machine with 2 x 780M's. I could possibly get a few hundred for my old 675M's too.

What to do, what to do...................

I would set up a poll if I could! :D

jorlanm

I need some input from anyone who wants to give it. I currently have an M18x R2 as you can see in my signature panel. I am debating whether or not to sell this one and buy a new AW 17 or maybe upgrade this one with 2 brand new 780's. Buying a new 18 with dual 780's is not an option.
I just need to hear what others may think. I have a habit of jumping into decisions too quickly.
I realize that there is also a third option which is to just be happy with what I have. I'm not too interested in that one :p

If I sell this one I will get around $2000 or a little more. If I was to buy a new AW 17 it will cost about $3500 for one with a 780. This will obviously cost me about $1500. Or, for $1800 I can upgrade my current machine with 2 x 780M's. I could possibly get a few hundred for my old 675M's too.

What to do, what to do...................

I would set up a poll if I could! :D

In all honesty...I think you should wait...I dont think your M18x really needs upgrading tight now...There are no games out there that can bring your M18x down...The newer GTX 8xx series should be a more well worth spending money on...I wouldnt even worry about CPU the Ivy Bridge and Haswell dont differ that much...

MattyB

Yeah I have had a good look at the CPU's and they aren't that much of a leap forward. That's one reason why I would just upgrade my M18x. I could wait for the 800 series GPUs. They should have a new architecture compared to the 600s and 700s. My 675s are really old 580s though so the 780 will be a decent step. I don't know if I want to wait another year though. Patience is not my strong suit

jorlanm

Yeah I have had a good look at the CPU's and they aren't that much of a leap forward. That's one reason why I would just upgrade my M18x. I could wait for the 800 series GPUs. They should have a new architecture compared to the 600s and 700s. My 675s are really old 580s though so the 780 will be a decent step. I don't know if I want to wait another year though. Patience is not my strong suit

Sure its a decent step...if your benchmarking. Or if you are just running one GPU id see the benefit...

Real world performance I don't think you'll see any difference yet...By the time things start slowing down on the games your playing then the 800 series or even the 900 series will be out then its more worth of an upgrade for the same amount of cash you want to dish out right now...

Id hold of with the GTX 780m...its still based on the Kepler Architecture and been around for 2 years.

The 800 will start with a new Core architecture which should offer even better performance and probably it will be the time you actually need it..

Anything I would just overclock your GPUs right now until next year for a better upgrade

Last edited:

jorlanm

What.. 675 SLi isn't good enough o.o?

that's what I was pointing at...it really shouldn't need an update at this point...unless you want to see higher benchmark score in which there is really no point to it if your already scoring over P6000 on 3D Mark 11 (means you can run every games at high setting no problem)

I would really wait...who knows the 800 series mght even give you SLI performance on a single card...Imagine actualy doing SLI mode on those cards!

MattyB

Of course my current setup will still do the job. That's not really what I'm getting at. I don't really feel like sitting on what I've got. I have recently sold one of my Auroras, an M15x and an M17x which was going to finance my plan. Also, Kepler came out just over a year ago (march 2012) while Fermi (what I have with my 675's) will be 3 years old in November as they used that for the 400 series as well.

Commy1

Of course my current setup will still do the job. That's not really what I'm getting at. I don't really feel like sitting on what I've got. I have recently sold one of my Auroras, an M15x and an M17x which was going to finance my plan. Also, Kepler came out just over a year ago (march 2012) while Fermi (what I have with my 675's) will be 3 years old in November as they used that for the 400 series as well.
I see what you're getting at, If you want to clean out the computer cabinet a bit and want the updated M18 then I would sell rather than upgrade. It's still a very valuable machine at this point.

Jtravapd

I agree you prob won't notice too much of a difference with the upgrade, however I'm gonna play devils advocate here and say if you are having the itch to upgrade your system then do it. Most of us are in this as a hobby. I'm guessing your like me and love throwing new hardware in your system and can't wait to fire it up to see what kind of gains in performance you have added. Kind of like guys who constantly work on their race cars to make them better. They may only add a tiny bit more horsepower but they still do it. Sure the car is already fast and can get you from point a to point b ,but if you can get there a fraction of a second sooner then it's even better. Lol

That being said realistically if you play the wait and see game with pc hardware you will be waiting forever because newer, faster, cheaper, more energy efficient hardware is always only 6 months away.

That's the way I feel about it. If to you it's a hobby like it is for me, then bro you gotta upgrade and slap the new video cards in there. If you just want your pc to run games and aren't into the tweaking the hardware then honestly your computer already kicks ass so you would be better off just saving until you can get a brand new machine.

I will vote for the unpopular vote and say upgrade the 18 you have now with two 780's and then the CPU whenever you have the extra $ . Lol

MattyB

As unpopular as it is, I agree with you. I am not huge with the new design. The M18x is a big beautiful beast. I have been looking at eBay today and that has really made me want to upgrade this one more and more. For $2500 I can put in a 3920XM, new triple pipe heatsink, 2 x 780Ms and some Kingston HyperX 2133MHz RAM! I could sell my parts for at least $600-700 so the upgrade will cost about $1800. The machine only cost me $2200 to start with so I think I'm doing pretty good.
Like you said, I'm the kind of person who wants to tinker with what I've got and make it faster. That's why I spent a lot modding my ALX when I really had no need to. I will probably put another 256GB SSD in the M18x just for fun too.
I will probably look at selling my X51 as well since the M18x will kick it's ass so there's not much point having it in the house.

Thanks for the support! :D That's what my heart wanted to hear. Not my brain though!!

Jtravapd

As unpopular as it is, I agree with you. I am not huge with the new design. The M18x is a big beautiful beast. I have been looking at eBay today and that has really made me want to upgrade this one more and more. For $2500 I can put in a 3920XM, new triple pipe heatsink, 2 x 780Ms and some Kingston HyperX 2133MHz RAM! I could sell my parts for at least $600-700 so the upgrade will cost about $1800. The machine only cost me $2200 to start with so I think I'm doing pretty good.
Like you said, I'm the kind of person who wants to tinker with what I've got and make it faster. That's why I spent a lot modding my ALX when I really had no need to. I will probably put another 256GB SSD in the M18x just for fun too.
I will probably look at selling my X51 as well since the M18x will kick it's ass so there's not much point having it in the house.

Thanks for the support! :D That's what my heart wanted to hear. Not my brain though!!

We better see some vids up of the install when you get the new parts. I have never upgraded a laptop before. I did add memory to one for someone but that was like 7 years ago. When my 18 gets here I prob will take jt apart just to see how it ticks. Lol. I'm excited to get it but starting to be even more excited about how upgradable (at least it seems). On YouTube and stuff there are tons of vids of people doing exactly what your gonna do. I was always under the impression laptops couldn't really be upgraded. I guess as a cost sagging measure large companies like dell have deals with computer part manufacturers to keep the parts basically the same in size from year to year? It seems that way at least.

Does anyone know who makes the 780M? I know it's a nvidia based architecture but do different companies make them like MSI, EVGA, ect? Or are mobile gpus just made by one company?

MattyB

Ahh there's plenty of M18x vids around. I want to see one from you first! Need to see what these new ones look like under the hood!

MattyB

Update: Just bought a 3920XM! :eek:

Time to get my hands on some 780's!

MattyB

Ordering my 780M's today!! :D

This thing is going to be pretty sweet!