Travel speakers

ejohnson

I would like to talk about a subject near and dear to my self... speakers.

I love speakers. I have always been in search of a good sounding speaker that I can bring with me. So wireless, battery, compact and travel like were all requirements of mine.

I picked up a set of razer ferox speakers.
Small, nice looking, battery or USB but have a headphone jack link for audio signal.
I hooked them up and they sounded pretty good, loud and clean as long as you didnt max them out. Battery life was great along with the omni directional output.
But they lacked bass, infact my m14x had more bass to it than the speakers did.

I have used them for awhile now and everyone who has heard them liked the sound they make.

The other day I was at target and I walked down the speaker isle and saw something new, something small.. It was the bose soundlink mini. Having owned several bose products before I knew that usually they were not worth the price. But I decided to give it a listen. HOLY CRAP! the sound that comes out of this tiny box is amazing.... there are highs, there are lows, these are nothing like a bose!
So, I did a quick search online for these speakers to see what others are saying about them. Lots of great reviews, and lots of compairing to other models in the same price range ($200).
I went to best buy because they sell this speaker, plus its competion. I listened to all the speakers in that range, plus the cheaper ones, and the more expensive ones. Nothing could seem to touch the bose, the guys at best buy tried to get me to buy the logitech ue boom, but they just didnt sound that great to me. Plus the inputs were on the bottom of the logitech, so you cant really use it while its plugged in.
So, credit card in hand I grabbed a bose.
First thing was test it with my tv, hooked up the new star trek movie with the wife, she was blown away. Next I put some music on, amazing. It streams music from my laptops, phone, and my ipod... all with bluetooth. Can hold up to 6 devices.

If you have $200 burning a hole in your pocket and you need a good speaker to travel with, I recommend this thing.

My only gripes with this speaker is that the cases for it are tacky, there are 3 to choose from. A orange on, the 2 clear ones that have either blue, or green accents on them.
The speaker itself only comes in silver with gray on it. Would of loved to see a black version.
The travel "bag" is nice though, but again, limited colors.... well, one color, gray with green strings on it.

Hoping that soon some aftermarket places make some covers for it so I can get rid of this horrid clear and blue case its in now.

So, whats you favorite travel speaker?

MattyB

Nice review mate. I'll keep an eye out for some. I would expect the price down here to be somewhat inflated as per normal. You're usually going to get grey or silver with Bose but those cases sound pretty ugly.
Still, may be worth a try. Cheers.

MattyB

By the way Tommy, Gray (US) vs Grey (pretty much everywhere else). Just in case you were going to check up on me :D :p

ejohnson

So, I took the speaker apart last night.... cause I wanted to :)

Pretty cool how they packed everything in there. It has a battery that can be replaced too, 4 screws for the battery and its right there on the bottom.... anyways, I am going to strip it down to the bare aluminum shell, then have it re-anodized black. Then I am going to have the painted parts powder coated black.

Himesed

Great review. After reading this great review I am now thinking about buy these speakers.I often travel outside so I can say these speakers will help me lot to listen something when i will in traveling.