Typical GPU temperatures on the M14x while gaming

HerrKaputt

Hi,

Could you tell me what are the typical temperatures you get when you play games on your M14x? Specifically, CPU and GPU temps.

I saw online reviews stating that the GPU reaches more than 90ºC! Isn't that harmful?

Thanks!

EMT911inWI

Average temp for me when playing a graphically intensive game is somewhere between 70-75 degrees C. 90 is going to be the top end of that and prolonged temps at that level will be harmful. I've seen some people report that there's run around 85-86 degrees C and haven't even noticed the frame of the machine feeling to hot. When mine reaches a "toasty" level I can physically feel it through the keyboard, mainly around where I rest my palms next to the mouseepad.

CPU temps - 85-90 C. A repaste of the processor can help reduce these numbers down to 75-85. I wouldn't be too concerned with either of the temps unless of course you aren't hearing your fan run.

Commy1

When I play graphically demanding games I usually sit at around 75-80 with the fans on high. To lower it I just prop the front end up a little bit on the end of my lapdesk wrist rest and it lowers it pretty quickly to around 70. Hope I never see 90...

HerrKaputt

It's good to know that people don't generally get as hot as 90º. 70-75 is perfectly acceptable IMO.

By the way, since you mention repaste: how easy is it to remove the heatsink from the CPU and GPU to do it? Is the M14x designed to be easily accessible?

Thanks!

EMT911inWI

In order to save time writing everything out and uploading pics. This fine gentleman made a very nice video that goes over everything in detail. It is VERY easy to remove the heatsinks and repaste once you get everything apart. Just keep in mind, DO NOT get oil from fingers on the CPU or GPU processor and leave them there, very important to remove them if you do happen to touch.

[video=youtube;gXGkRKrjv70]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXGkRKrjv70[/video]

HerrKaputt

In order to save time writing everything out and uploading pics. This fine gentleman made a very nice video that goes over everything in detail. It is VERY easy to remove the heatsinks and repaste once you get everything apart. Just keep in mind, DO NOT get oil from fingers on the CPU or GPU processor and leave them there, very important to remove them if you do happen to touch.
Nice! Thanks :)