UK PC Noob considering X51

meso100

Hey

I am new to PC gaming after leaving the Xbox 360 and want to get an alienware device. I have spent weeks researching my options but I am torn between laptop and PC.

I have done research on the laptops and just think they may be a dead end come 3/4 years down the road - I may be wrong but it seems a PC is the way to go? A laptop would have been preferable as I don't have a desk so could use at the dining table but if a PC is a more viable alternative it will have to go in the living room connected to a TV (where the Xbox once was).

So, are there any drawbacks to me getting an X51 over a custom build, can I still get years of use from an X51 and would you go as far as saying they are future proof?

An alienware promo video states that the memory, CPU, GPU and storage can be upgraded. It did not mention motherboard and PSU. A friend tells me for something to be future proof you need to be able to have the ability to upgrade the motherboard and PSU in addition to the above. Is this correct and if so, possible with the X51?

I have £600 cash now but could get my hands on more if needs be and stretch to £1000. I am tempted to go the finance route on a more expensive rig but want to try and be sensible if I can.

The X51 AMD Radeon R9 270 is £999 and features i7 4770, 8GB memory, 1TB HD.

The X51 Nvidia Geforce GTX 645 IS £599 and features i3 4130, 6GB memory, 1TB HD.

Go for top model or cheaper to go base model and upgrade myself?

I am an avid fan of BFBC2 and my current laptop is struggling with it between 17-27 FPS on medium settings. I need something much better but don't want to waste my cash on the wrong purchase.

I will want to be able to play on ultra on BF4 if at all possible at the moment with future adaptability.

Any advice you can give will stop me wasting my life on all the websites I am visiting with no clear result at the end.

Cheers

shankc

you could try the dell factory outlet they sell reconditioned machines or machines that have simply been returned you can get warranty with them and they ussally have good bargains on there. If you just keep checking in everyday you could find exactly what your looking for at a great price. Its just an option they have some excellent R4s at the minute here is the link
http://www.dell.co.uk/outlet
Hope you find one you like Happy Gaming

STDVirus

Honestly both those setups are going to struggle with BF4. The 270x can play battlefield with High settings and get a decent frame rate but i don't think it will play ultra settings all that well. I play BF4 and i bought the cheaper model and just upgraded the card. I play BF4 at 55-60fps on ultra settings and with the textures set to 120%. To set them higher then that you will need a min. of 3GB Video RAM preferably 4GB. My CPU is hindering my performance at the moment but i've ordered a 3770T so we will see how much that helps me with my frame rate.

To answer your question i would honestly get the lower model and upgrade the parts on it. All you need is a better video card and the 330w power supply to play most games on ultra even having a i3 it will still play games pretty decent.

STDVirus

i've played with the settings a bit and now i'm able to have everything on ultra i turn off MSAA in game and turn it on to 4x forced by my gtc 680 and then i'm able to turn the scaling to 200% and still get 55-60fps. Oh and i turned post process to low. Game looks great. My resolution is at 1360x768 due to my tv being native at that res (-_-).

But with these settings i get 60-85fps but since my tv is only a 60Hz tv i have to turn on vsync so it locks at 60fps.