test

Unusual Problem

Max1mus

Hi everyone! Sorry to be one of those new people with a problem but I have scoured the internet looking for any sort of solution to this problem, I have a few suspicions but I thought I'd chuck out some of the symptoms and see what I heard back.

I will be doing stuff on my laptop it could be gaming, watching movies, working with music on it doesn't matter as it's happened during all of them. The screen suddenly goes grey, solid block of colour grey and I can occasionally still hear sound playing in the background. A few times it has gone black and grey vertical stripes. I will take pictures next time it happens, I rather stupidly thought I'd screen shot it next time it happened...

My suspicions were it was a heating problem, but I have been testing it out with HWiNFO initially to see if it was a CPU or GPU problem personally I thought it was my ATi HD7970M. Anyway so far I haven't seen any issues when surfing the web so far, will test it out with games. It happened with Minecraft last time which was slightly confusing, not the most demanding of games.

So if anyone has any ideas I am all ears because it's getting a tad annoying. Updates on my testing will follow as well of course incase anybody else is having this problem and thanks for reading folks!

sway

Have you tried reinstalling the gpu driver? Do a clean install, it sounds like a driver issue.

tappin from the N e x u s 4

MattyB

Also try using an external display and see if the problem keeps happening. That will rule out the LCD as the issue.

Max1mus

Hi all, thanks for the quick response and sorry that mine has been rather slow. Rather luckily my new SSD arrived so I had a completely fresh install to do anyway. This has been done, so a clean install of the GPU drivers has also been done with it. Unfortunately the problem is still occurring, I think I have managed to conclude that this problem happens only when set to the dedicated card only. During the install I had it on the integrated card for quite some time without incident. Will try plugging it into my desktop screen to see what happens. I got a picture of the last example of it happening.

photo.jpg

MattyB

Well it looks like you've got an issue with your GPU unfortunately. You should still be under warranty if you bought it straight from Dell. Otherwise you're up for some cash.

BrokeHombre

I agree with Matty - appears the graphics card may be at fault - Happened to my rig a week after I got it, no grey screen like you get - it just went out and all I had was the integrated intel card. The bios should have diagnostics in it, run the graphics test and see what happens. When and if you call support they will have you run the diags too...

MattyB

Yeah BrokeHombre is right. When you turn on your machine, press F12 for the boot menu and there should be an option to run a preboot diagnostic. It may take 30mins to an hour but it will run through every part of your machine.