Upgrade Alienware X51 power supply

I see You

That will not fit inside the case of a x51 they take a laptop power supply 330 watt is the largest you can get for them.

moto7198712

You can do it but you need to disconnect the plugs from video card and pins need to be jumped some place else there are videos on YouTube

momokie

You can do it but you need to disconnect the plugs from video card and pins need to be jumped some place else there are videos on YouTube

I have same proublem...can your give me information detail...video please...
buy.gif

DJaymo

what the best card you could use for this trick and still fit it in the case?

I see You

this is a very bad idea as turning on a power supply to a card will put a pulse charge into the motherboard which could brick it, i would not do this do it at your own risk. your also jumping the power supply to make it think you are connected to a board also not a very good idea. I know i would not take a chance with my mainboard doing this.

moto7198712

Your a noob just for saying that if you have no experience do not comment thousands of people have done this method on different computers except people clean the wiring up and wrap everything

www.mroverclock.com

I see You

so im a newb huh this is why it is dangerous to do this because u cant make both supplies turn on and off at same time. let me explain. The second PSU needs to be attached with screws to your PC case, that will ground it. (It is also grounded through the power cord ground, but that should not be relied on for a ground).

You will also want both power supplies to turn on and off at the same time. This will require some electronic wiring and soldering. You will need to wire the green wire on the second PSU 20/24 pin connector into the green wire on the main PSU so the motherboard can turn both supplies on and off together.

Note: If you decide to get creative with powering different things from the two PSUs, make sure the motherboard and CPU fan are always powered from the same PSU. I will say it again you want both to turn on at the same time or it is bad for your mainboard, and you can't make both turn on and off at same time on a X51. Wow so i'm a newb huh think twice before you speak. I may be a newb at alienware x51, but i'm not a newb when it comes to electronics.

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

oh and if you want to do the safe way why not just buy this and see if it will work for you. much safe and work as it should.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153037

MiLoLaMb

Umm. No. They don't need to shut off at the same time. PCIE can be turned on and off at anytime as long as the stay connected to the PC to ground but the OS (Windows) won't pick it up when on. This is because under protocols PCIE on the motherboard have hot swap functionality but can't be utilised data wise. (Power wise still fine)

I see You

Umm. No. They don't need to shut off at the same time. PCIE can be turned on and off at anytime as long as the stay connected to the PC to ground but the OS (Windows) won't pick it up when on. This is because under protocols PCIE on the motherboard have hot swap functionality but can't be utilised data wise. (Power wise still fine)

Wow you learn something new i was not aware that PCIE had hot swap functionality then yes you are correct, in that they can turn on and off by self but still, it's best if you make turn on and off at same time, it's better i assure you.

MiLoLaMb

That's under the assumption he keeps the gfx card for longer than 2 years. I know personally i upgrade every 2 or 3 years

I see You

yes i'm fixing to upgrade mine again just not sure how far up i can go i already have a gtx 660 ti in a 2012 alienware x51 model. the first gen one.