Upgrade AW17R3 with Video Amplifier or buy new model

NotReallyKyle

Mar 3, 2021
Vegas
Hey all, I am wondering if it is worth it to upgrade my old AW17R3 unit with a Video Amplifier to run Autocad/Revit or go all in for a new unit with better cpu and built in graphics. It has:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6820HK (Q uad-Core, 8MB Cache, Dynamical ly Overclocked up to 4.1GHz)
NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 980M with 8GB GDDR5
32gb ram
M2 Drives
But, its a little slow. Not sure what the hold up is, maybe the video card.
But is it worth is to get a video ampflifer and a good card or just get a whole new system.
Any Thoughts.
NK

NotReallyKyle

Mar 3, 2021
Vegas
Really, nobody has any thoughts on a 5 year old laptop?
Is the chip/system architecture any better now with respect to memory and single core or multi core clock speed that the Video Amplifier would not overcome? Would it be worth it to spend $2k on a new laptop or $800 on a amp and video card just to be a little better before the motherboard dies or something. It is 5 years old, used every day, carried in a backpack. But, its very clean and non damaged in any way, just used.

Just looking for a sanity check to justify buying a new laptop.

cmaesing

Apr 29, 2015
Owner of an AW17R2, so not 100% comparable. Have upgraded considerably over time (4 TB SSD, RAM maxed out at 16 unfortunately - the R2 has its cap there; AGA with a 1080 Ti etc). But would today, if I could, go for a new model before investing yet again into a 5y old model.

My two cents. Good luck!