Upgrade Ram?

DecepticonZ9

so im deciding on upgrading my ram
im at 4 right now and was thinking to bump it up to 6
but im not sure if i should or should i just wait and do it later
all i do is either play bf3 or surf the web so im not sure
let me know if i should or if i shouldnt

Maelstrom

Before you do open up the task manager and just monitor the amount of RAM you use doing what ever you normally do using your computer. Then you should try opening as many programs as you ever think you ever would have open at the same time and see if you reach your limit. If you do then you should consider how much more you need (if you only managed to open up some of the programs you wanted to or most of them). And when you upgrade you should get 1600MHz RAM because it's the fastest your processor can use.

Do what Mealstrom has pointed out. It would be just waste of money if you just buy without limit use
Even if you play powerful games (obviously one at a time) 4 gb is quiet enough

ThatOldGuy

I would recomend upgrading the RAM if you only have 1x4GB. Running out of two slots is faster, and you can get one stick of RAM very cheap now.

sway

I bought 8gb for 75$ on newegg just bc it was so cheap.

xGeorgexBP

I'm looking to upgrade to 16GB RAM once I see a sale special >=) Which brand for RAM laptops is great?

VagrantXeth

I was looking at upgrading my RAM to 16GB on my X51, has anyone else done this and if so is there any noticable difference between that and 8GB?

Maelstrom

Yeah, unless your planning on hosting a large minecraft server, rendering a 3D video and gaming at the same time while keeping Firefox open for more than 24 hours you should be fine with 8GB.

xGeorgexBP

I rather get the 16GB RAM for a few more bucks than the 12GB RAM. Let me know if anyone finds a special ^_-

are you getting 4 GB more for just additional few bucks? in that case thats your call. Well if you are specifically getting more ram to make it 12, I'd say 8 is well enough

BlackJair

I just met a guy who has 32GB RAM, i have 4GB and barely use 3GB of them, what kind of task do need 32GB? I mean... Opening 30 tabs on every internet browser and still have a lot more.

I want to add 2GB more only because i want to have the most amount possible but... I don't think i may use it.

Maelstrom

I've only ever used 5GB RAM tops. You should never have that many applications open to need more than 8GB because there is no way you can use that many applications at the same time.

BlackJair

I've only ever used 5GB RAM tops. You should never have that many applications open to need more than 8GB because there is no way you can use that many applications at the same time.
Agreed. If you want more than 6GB you should probably will be bragging, because, well... Im a programmer and i when im using at most my laptop, not ever uses more than 4GB ram.

xGeorgexBP

I use up all my 6GB of RAM on any given day. I usually game, video edit, and currently learning other programming languages. The max you can get is 16GB of RAM for the m14x r2, so I'm planning to get that much. No matter what people say, "that you will hardly use that much," it will still speed up your PC dramatically.

Maelstrom

I use up all my 6GB of RAM on any given day. I usually game, video edit, and currently learning other programming languages. The max you can get is 16GB of RAM for the m14x r2, so I'm planning to get that much. No matter what people say, "that you will hardly use that much," it will still speed up your PC dramatically.
Ok, if yo actually need to use that much RAM then by all means, get it. It isn't going to speed up your system, just allow you to do more at any given moment.

xGeorgexBP

Ok, if yo actually need to use that much RAM then by all means, get it. It isn't going to speed up your system, just allow you to do more at any given moment.
It still attributes to a speedy system. I'm just making the point that if you're going to fork out the money from 4-6GB of RAM that you currently have, just spend the extra money to get 16GB of RAM instead.

In addition, If you go 16 GB you will get more memory for the GPU's, have more than enough for applications and have enough to use RAM drive. Put your swap file on RAM drive and any temporary directories. With 16 GB you can devote at least 4 GB to this purpose.

In conclusion, with 16GB you have 4GB for your GPU's, 4GB for your applications and 8GB for a scratch drive or swap file drive. If you only have 8GB (or less) you are far more limited. You won't regret it (I've done it to some PCs at work).

sway

Ram is so cheap not to have at least 16gb. Im fixing to order 16gb from newegg for less than 100$, then I won't have to really ever worry if I have enough ever...not that I do but just saying.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus