Upgrade video card in X51 R3?

craig101

Hi, bought a Dell Alienware X51 machine back in 2016 - am looking to upgrade the graphics card, the chassis isn't massive though so not sure what to get?

The spec of the machine is
Alienware DT X51 (Andromedia R3 chassis)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100 (3M Cache, 3.70 GHz) Processor
RAM = 8GB Dual Channel DDR4 2133MHz (4GBx2)
Windows 10 Home

Current video card is the NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 745 with 4GB DDR3 but this is bit dated and want to get something that can play a few more video games (the Warzone CoD would be good as it is only the video card that falls under the min. requirements.)

Any suggestions?

Thanks

MattyB

You can pretty much put any card you like in there depending on the length. I'd stay away from cards like the 780 or 980 though as they pull a fair bit of power. You are best with a 9.5" card but I believe you can get longer ones in there (possibly up to 10.5" from memory) and you can remove the intake fan to get some extra room.
It is better to get a 'reference' style GPU which blows the hot air out the back of the case. These are like the Nvidia Founders Edition cards or there are a few AMD options. Other GPU's with big fans will keep the hot air inside and you will find the card will run hot and the fans will be at 100% most of the time.
If you don't need a lot of GPU power then I'd suggest a GTX 1060 Founders Edition. If you try to go too high you will be severely bottlenecked by your i3 CPU. It may be worth looking for an upgrade on this too.
You also need to look at your power suplly. With your specs I would assume that you only have a 240W PSU, at best, so you will need to get a 330W one. They are pretty cheap on ebay, usually about $50.