Upgrading 17R5 mobo/heatsink/paste/SSD/memoryslots

rgmarrufo

May 4, 2021
portland
Hi AOs

this is my first post! also im glad i found this community forum because im struggling a little bit and i want to know if im doing dumb shit.

For context, the mobo of my 17r5 burn and it was the i8 1080 version. So i decided to get another motherboard. but instead got the i9 1080 version, i guess a cpu bump wouldnt hurt and since i have all my laptop torned open that means that i want to do other things to it! So i got the 4k UHD display (i do more video editing than playing games so it made sense to get that one).

but i want to find a solution for the overheating, i saw an all copper heatsink on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254278942529?hash=item3b3434bf41:g:zA4AAOSwIKVeI~nj

and i wanted to hear from any of you if it is a good product. i was originally gonna reuse the heatsink it came with it but i feel like its not that good. so hope to hear from your experiences (if any) with this heatsink.

then theres the infamous cpu gpu thermal paste, LM conundrum.

For thermal pad replacements i got the fujipoly in its appropriate thickness.
For the CPU/GPU i bumped into the IC Graphite Thermal Pad (its electically conductive) i heard good things about it but maybe the 17r5 owners have more to share and what works best. i really liked the Liquid Metal option but honestly... i dont want to risk it. also read on copper shims?

also both these products are still in their original packaging so they can be returned if i am doing this all wrong.

SSD Drives

SO ive never seen this mini harddrives before. and i realized as i was tearing open my 17r5 that there were two more slots available for ssd? I have no idea which ones to use or how to find compatible one. if someone can help me on this i woudl greatly appreciate it. i have searched a lot but i dont think i have found what size or model or type of ssd fit there.

Secondary Memory slots
i already have 32gb RAM but ive read in other palces that there are more memory slots? like secondary memoryslots? but i dont think ive seen them in mine, maybe an older model of the 17r5? just need some clarification on that. if anyone can help. also, i once read that people were trying to make the 17r5 able to read 64 gb of ram becauseit was only a software limitation? i dont know if it ever got done. i remember it reading it on the DELL forums like a year ago.

i guess thats it... i guess thats all the upgrades i can think of, if you have any suggestions i would greatly appreciate ill be around to check for replies and if you need any other information ill reply promptly.

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Hello. Cicichen is pretty well known in the community for the aftermarket heatsinks he makes. If you're not happy with it then he is usually pretty good at helping out or replacing it.

I've never owned a 17 R5 so I'm probably not going to be a great help but I'll try. I've also never risked using liquid metal. One wrong move and your board is fried. Maybe try a better paste like the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.

The 17 R5 only has two SODIMM slots and the BIOS does not allow for 32GB SODIMM sticks so you are probably stuck at 32GB (2x16gb) total. This may have changed with a newer BIOS version but I'm not sure.

Here is a User manual for the R5. Have a read from Page 17. Page 20 runs through the storage options.

https://dl.dell.com/topicspdf/alienware-17-r5_users-guide_en-us.pdf

rgmarrufo

May 4, 2021
portland
Hello. Cicichen is pretty well known in the community for the aftermarket heatsinks he makes. If you're not happy with it then he is usually pretty good at helping out or replacing it.

I've never owned a 17 R5 so I'm probably not going to be a great help but I'll try. I've also never risked using liquid metal. One wrong move and your board is fried. Maybe try a better paste like the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.

The 17 R5 only has two SODIMM slots and the BIOS does not allow for 32GB SODIMM sticks so you are probably stuck at 32GB (2x16gb) total. This may have changed with a newer BIOS version but I'm not sure.

Here is a User manual for the R5. Have a read from Page 17. Page 20 runs through the storage options.

https://dl.dell.com/topicspdf/alienware-17-r5_users-guide_en-us.pdf
wow thank you very much!