Upgrading a used X51, some questions...

Rubin Starset

Hi there. I just purchased a used X51 off of ebay. The stats listed are...

Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz CPU (3.9GHz turbo)
16GB DDR3 RAM
2TB Seagate 7200RPM HD
nVidia GTX 660 OEM Graphics card with 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM (GK104, 1152 Cuda cores)
BD-ROM/DVD-RW Drive
Windows 8 x64​

After more searching than I thought would be needed, I think I've figured out this is an X51 R1, however I'm having a really hard time finding any defined specs, such as how many slots the thing should have for RAM, what PCI slots are available, SATA speeds, etc. Does such a thing exist? Does this machine have a specific model number?

Secondly I'd like to throw an SSD into the machine. After more searching it seems like the R1 machine should have a 2.5" bay it could sit in.

I'd like to install Windows onto the SSD and have that be the main boot drive, possibly removing the platter drive all together. The seller states that they don't have any CDs/DVDs for the machine and that Windows is simply in a recovery partition on the drive. I just want to double check and make sure that's expected and that I'm not going to have to hunt down and buy new setup/driver/install media after the machine gets delivered.

Other than taking a can of air to all the fans and grills, anything else I should do with this machine after receiving it used from the seller?

My last question for my last question, I've grown old and am not as much as a hardcore gamer as I was 10 years ago. Mostly I'm looking for a machine to run Lightroom 90% of the time (I run Linux on everything else and have gotten sick of how slow Windows in VirtualBox is), and then some casual gaming on the site. I think the most graphic intensive stuff I've run recently have been Portal 2, Transistor, and Among the Sleep. Will the GTX 660 be enough for the light gaming I'm doing or should I plan on getting something in the 7xx range? I feel like I'm over thinking this but asking can't hurt.

Thanks!

SupportAssist will a report on entire system, hard and software.
You'll know the type a RAM etc... MAX 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz (2 x 8GB) low profile. I use this.
It will show the serial number and support numbers that will match with the correct driver set.
Go to Dell Support and burn a Driver Disk.

Cloning a HDD to a SSD is problematic. My refurb. system came with OS & Driver disks.

There are 3 SATA II ports - HDD, DD, and one empty.
Stash your SDD on top of the DD cage. I've done it.
You need a power splitter & a SATA Data cable.
Here's how.

Graphic Card Upgrade

X51 SFF is designed for a single fan blower type car; 9½" long.

Forget the Kepler 700 series, go Maxwell.
The GTX 960 is a safe and a affordable choice.
However there are very few that meet the design requirements.

The PNY XLR8 GeForce GTX 960 is DELL Approved and recommended.

MSI GTX 960 2GD5 OC

There has been varied success with the GTX 970 series and the X51 R1.

Alienowners has the definitive thread on the issue [HERE].

My friend Irishlad147 has a couple Video's on the subject that are informative.

R1's might need a [daughterboard] powerboard upgrade to the R2's Dell part number # D85RT
I have a early 2012 R1 version 1 VFHMM powerboard and I've been fine with EVGA 1972 SC,
Although I have acquired a R2 D85 RT powerboard, but haven't found a pressing need to install it yet.

EVGA 970 04G-P4-1970-KR*
EVGA 970 04G-P4-1972-KR Superclocked*

Think of the X51 like a little sports car that can be fast if tuned right.
Benchmark

Last edited:

Rubin Starset

Thanks for all that information, that's been really helpful!

The machine already has 16gb of ram.

I'm wondering what to do about the lack of a Windows DVD problem.

KillerBee33

Thanks for all that information, that's been really helpful!

The machine already has 16gb of ram.

I'm wondering what to do about the lack of a Windows DVD problem.
I'm not sure if i can post this here but this is a friend of mine and i've been using his Windows for the past 2 years. On install you will have options which Version choose any Home,Pro,Ult. with OEM at the end. He got Alienware and DELL FACTORY DVD's from me.

https://kickass.to/windows-7-sp1-aio-esd-oem-en-us-april-2015-t10563860.htmlunnamed.jpg

Rubin Starset

Thanks for the tip. If I'm going through all the hassle of buying a full fledged Windows machine with a license, I sure as hell want to actually use the legit version of Windows than deal with a hacked up copy. I've out grown that portion of my life. :)

KillerBee33

Thanks for the tip. If I'm going through all the hassle of buying a full fledged Windows machine with a license, I sure as hell want to actually use the legit version of Windows than deal with a hacked up copy. I've out grown that portion of my life. :)
Ehh tried to help, but for the Future do a research before you call some1's work a Hack. Just for general knowledge , find out what OEM Windows is and how it works.

KillerBee33

Bundled , yes . You can ask the guy to upload Untouched Alienware OEM ISO . He has that.