test

upgrading Aurora R4 with 780 sli?

vanquisher

i m currently having a r4 alx with 6990 and thinking about upgrade to 780 in sli.

The question is, does the r4 have enough room and power to handle these 2 cards?

what is the best brand to be better fitted in and having better comparable air-flow?

many thanks in advance.

configuration: 3960x at lvl 3, 32g 1600, 512ssd with 2t drive, dual u2711.

Last edited:

holeyguy66

the auroras have plenty of room for running duel cards the 875 psu should be plenty to run the 780s. the best brand to go with woulod be asus or evga as they are a reference design card which exits the hot air out the rear of the card instead of back into the case. but the aurora cases are tight so really one 780 should be plenty strong for what ever you wanna do.

vanquisher

Thank you for the advice.

since there's limited stocking, so I had to choose PNY cards.

here is the image780sli.jpg

The 2 cards are stacking and leave no space in between, however, the temps seems okay for me, at 48-68 celsius.

holeyguy66

the temps are actually kinda cool for this case, i ran mid 70s with my 2 6850s i had. which is normal for our cases. i did however take a piece of cardboard off of a advil box fold it up and stick it between the 2 to kinda get a little bit more space.

dark11b

hey guys,

Vanquisher what temps do you get when playing games? I'm also interested in 780 sli. I currently bought only one cause i wasn't sure about getting two.

Thanks,

vanquisher

gpuz.jpg
yes, while using msi afterburner to control the fan at 75% throttle, but the only game i have is dota2 :p

btw, the idle temps is 35-39 degree at 324 mhz, seems very nice.

here is the readings from gpu-z while doing some tests. The core clock showing a odd number which seems like a 690's reading.

- - - - - Updated; Double Post Auto Merged - - - - -

nice trick!! thanks

SchneeBalL

the ALX is a awesome case but man the room inside is not great think i will have to watercool after looking at your pics.

but to be fair your temps seem fine what you hitting under full load ? 80+ ?

I have Dual GTX-780's (EVGA Superclocked) and the highest temp I get is 81 Degrees Celcius until full load using 3DMark11 for 3 loops.