Upgrading Graphics Card

shankc

Dec 26, 2012
UnitedKingdom
Has anyone successfully upgraded their M17x R4 with a new 780m I'm not going to try this at minute. I just wanted to know if anyone had managed this successfully and if they have how easy was it. Did you have to do much modding of drivers ect. I'm just looking to the future maybe after Christmas so as much info on this would be much appreciated Thanks guys and gals

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
I upgraded my M18x R2 with dual 780's and the platform should be pretty much identical. Only difference being that my machine doesn't support optimus. That caused a slight issue with my machine (beep code errors) but I managed to sort it out (not before a complete freakout first)

I got my modded driver from the eBay store that sold me the cards. I actually messaged them this morning about getting a more recent driver from them and they are working on it. Not too hard to get them from laptopvideo2go anyway. I did that when I upgraded an M15x with a 570M. I didn't need any modded BIOS or vBIOS

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

Look for the upgradeyourlaptop store on ebay. That's the guys I went through. They are in the US

shankc

Dec 26, 2012
UnitedKingdom
Cheers Matty did you have to pay any import tax as I've had problems in the past buying from the US with that. Do you just contact the seller before buying and check if they have the drivers for your system and did you have to flash your video BIOS. I think I would of freaked out a bit if that happend to me lol

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
They posted the link for the modded driver on the page where they were selling the card so you don't even have to buy from them to get the driver you want. They had links for modded drivers for each individual AW machine.
I didn't pay any import tax although I probably should have since it was over $1500AU. I think $1000 is the limit here.
After installing the new cards and the drivers I restarted the machine and I got the dreaded 8 beep code. After a slight heart attack and a bit of online searching I found a thread on the Dell Community site from Mr Fox who went step by step how to fix that exact issue. A short while later after clearing the CMOS by bridging the CMOS battery connectors it was all fixed.
It's been a beast ever since! :D

shankc

Dec 26, 2012
UnitedKingdom
I will have to check what the limit for import tax is in the UK although if they give you the link to download the driver I could purchase it off a UK site then just download drivers from laptopvideo2go. I will have to see where I can get the best price. But I'm only thinking of getting one I think my heart would have missed a beat or two (total understatement) if I had paid that much for the 2 cards and I got those dreaded beeps but I'm pleased you got it fixed in the end. I will have to check it out that puts my mind at rest a bit. But would be much happier if I could find someone with a R4 that has successfully upgraded to the 780m

shankc

Dec 26, 2012
UnitedKingdom
I have been doing some research on upgrading my 7970m to a 780m but I'm not sure if its going to be worth the price for the little gain I will get. Here is what I found on GPU boss http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-7970M-vs-GeForce-GTX-780M I tried to find laptopvideo2go on eBay Matty but no luck but I did find the modded drivers. But I did find 2 stores one was upgradeyourlaptop the other was upgrademonkey the prices were £500 for the card alone and £560 for the upgrade kit which came with the x bracket and thermal paste but no heatsink. I don't no if my 7970 heatsink or I have a gtx 675 heatsink would fit. If not its an extra £40 so I'm wondering if I should just wait and see what comes out next year

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
No laptopvideo2go was just a site to get modded drivers. Upgradeyourlaptop was the ebay store I got my cards from. I was lucky, I ordered the card only but they still sent me the whole pack (no heatsink though). Your 675 heatsink will fit fine since I upgraded my M18x from 675's too with the same heatsinks.
I use GPUBoss quite a bit and sometimes their findings seem a little strange.
The 7970 is definitely better than the 675 but not quite as good as the 780 so you're in the middle with a pretty solid card. Waiting to see what the next gen has to offer may be the way to go.

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
No problemo. Unless you're rolling in too much money I think it's a good bet to upgrade every 2 gens. As you would know, the 675s are really 580s so upgrading to 780s seemed like the way to go for me. I won't be upgrading my 600 desktop cards until the 800's.

shankc

Dec 26, 2012
UnitedKingdom
I wish I was rolling in cash m8 things are very tight over here at the minute. But that sounds like good logic especially know I no that they just change the name of the cards and pass them off as a new card. If we done anything like that we would be taken to court and imprisoned. But it is nice to know that my 675 heatsink would fit the 780 just in case I find a bargain or win the lottery lol if not I will wait for next gen card thanks m8