test

Upgrading Graphics on X51 R2

IamFrostey

Hi all,
I'm a bit new when it comes to upgrading my PC, but I know there is a space constraint with the X51, as well as power supply problems when you're upgrading this unit. I was hoping to get some suggestions on upgrading my unit, keeping in mind I'd like to upgrade the easiest way possible. I don't really want to have to remove a bunch of components to make a new graphics card fit.

I'm currently running:
Processor: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz
Processor Main Features: 64 bit Quad-Core Processor
Cache Per Processor: 6 MB L3 Cache
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600
Storage: 1TB SATA 3Gb/s 7,200RPM
Optical Drive: Slot-Loading Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (BR-ROM, DVD+/-RW, CD-RW)
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4GB GDDR3
Power Supply: 240W External Power Supply
Operating System: Windows 10 64-Bit

I have seen some threads about being able to use a GTX 970/980 in this PC, with relatively few issues. But if I buy the card, is it as simple as popping it in? Do I need a new fan/new power supply?

Looking at this:
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GDDR5-25...&qid=1428411700&sr=1-11&keywords=evga+gtx+970

All help is appreciated!

Thank you!

Last edited:

kadun

Putting a GTX 970 is no problem! You just need to upgrade your power supply to 330w. TDP for 745 = 55w and for the 970 = 148w. It could work for the 240w but when pushed, your comp will freeze/turn off.

IamFrostey

Thanks!

I purchased the above card and a replacement power supply and will be attempting the upgrade tonight. Do you suggest removing the optical drive? A few tutorials I have seen have had the drive removed so that the hard drives could be moved up for better airflow. Also, should I turn off the lights for better energy consumption?

tangonaninc

I have the gtx 980 reference in mine. Only thing I took out was the front fan so it could fit. I left my Blu Ray drive in. Make sure you setup a fan profile like MSI afterburner. Plenty of YouTube help out there. 970 an 980's work great in this system.

IamFrostey

Yea, I didn't remove the fan, but I did replace my HDD with a SSD. I tried moving the original 3.5" HDD for better airflow, but that was unsuccessful(I even took apart the optical drive holder to try and make it fit). So now I have no optical drive but one 500 GB SSD. The card runs at least 15 degrees cooler.