Upgrading motherboard in aurora 7500 R4 (Foxconn 590 SLI nforce)

Jaymorz

I've purchased an aurora 7500 R4 custom desktop back in 2006 and it's been a joy to have. However, to keep up with the technology of modern gaming and its demand, i'll need to give this guy an upgrade. Essentially I want to keep my current PSU, 750 watt OEM ATX PSU power supply, and GPU, Geforce gtx 460 (Yes I had to upgrade this from my initial as that one burned out) and lastly the chassis of the R4. And so I would like to upgrade the CPU from my D- Athlon 64 X2 5200+ AM2 DC processor to an i5 3570k. However, in doing so I need to swap my motherboard to have a compatible socket with the CPU.

The issue I'm having is that if I want to keep the same chassis of the aurora 7500 R4 I need to find a motherboard with the same I/O connectors configuration as the foxconn 590 sli nforce or else it won't fit. So my question here is, is there a motherboard with a 1150 socket that has the same configuration as the foxconn motherboard I have? Maybe someone had a similar issue as I do and found a way to solve it without switching the chassis

P.S. If you notice any issues that might arise from switching to the new CPU or motherboard with my current configuration please let me know, I'm no expert in the field

holeyguy66

im assuming the 7500 is the p2 chassis. if so . to my knowledge any fullsize mobo will fit. black one in the middle is a p2 the green one is a p1. either of those will take a regular atx mobo. my green one will actually fit a e-atx board. and maybe an xl-atx. i dunno what limits are on the p2.

Jaymorz

Yep, the middle one is exactly the one I have. Do you think the OEM power supply 750watt would be sufficient to run an i5 3570k CPU? That's pretty much the deal breaker here between custom building one myself from scratch or just replacing the CPU and mobo

holeyguy66

well i 3570k is an 1155 socket you want ivy bridge or hazwell. and im on power supply calculator so ill let you know how much you will actually need

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine this is only a guess at how your setup. but 750 watts should be ok with maybe a small oc. im actually using a 875 on mine at the moment with a 3770k and a few other goodies. no over clock and im good til i can get a bigger one

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

well ok n/m it showed 575 watts was a calculated guess. 750watts should be good for awhile

Jaymorz

Thanks for all the help holeyguy66, I've found a bundle that contains an i5 3570k ivy bridge (although ppl recommend sandy bridge) a gigabyte mobo ATX and 8gb of ram heres the link from tigerdirect (Intel Core I5 3570K CPU/Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H MB/8GB DDR3 Patriot Viper Xtreme Memory Bundle):
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8688707&CatId=6982]&SRCCODE=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&utm_source=Linkshare&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=je6NUbpObpQ&AffiliateID=je6NUbpObpQ-xGl7aFF7hUccvLE9X96xbw

Idk if you're familiar with the mobo/ram company, but could you give me any insight you may have on both parts of the bundle? I seem sold on purchasing this

holeyguy66

sandy bridge is still pretty strong. and it still runs cooler then ivy. even though ivy bridge is lowwr wattage it runs hotter due to the fact that intel went the cheap route on the thermal interface between the heatspreader and the cpu itself. but mine hasnt been that bad i was running at 4.9 ghz on my 3770k at around 80c temps. thats a little higher the my last sandy bridge but it isnt to bad. as far as the ramm company goes i dont know anything about them. corsair kingston and gkill are pretty good and i know a few people who swear by gskill. the board is pretty decent gigabit isnt bad man. i dunno much about them either as i favor asus. but every article i try to find on hopw to properly oc my cpu they are either using gigabit or msi.

MattyB

How'd you get to 4.9? What voltages are you at? Got back to 4.6 but having troubles past that.

holeyguy66

How'd you get to 4.9? What voltages are you at? Got back to 4.6 but having troubles past that.
well they way i did it wasnt the safe way. at 4.6 it runs at like 1.33. i was running 1.45 which was way high. ive got a guy fixing to help me with what needs to be done to reach the over clocks like i want on lower voltage. im just waiting to hear back.

MattyB

Cool. Interesting to hear what happens but for now I need to crawl into a deep dark hole to try to recover from this hangover. Not well. Not well at all.

Jaymorz

Alright fellas, I have another question. I have all my hardware ready to go but before proceeding to replace my motherboard, I've read that there are adaptability issues with the MIO board and the new motherboard. It seems like the MIO board (if present on my aurora R4) controls the LED lighting (which hasn't worked from the get-go) and the vents for my computer. My question is, will I need to rig my system in any kind of way to connect to my MIO board or is there a secure fix out there? Any information on this will be greatly appreciated as I've never swapped out my motherboard from my aurora R4 since I purchased it.

Also another question I have is, how do i transfer/download the alienware software that originally came with my desktop? I have several alienware CDs, however, they are compatible for XP not my new soon to be windows 7 OS.