Upgrading the m17x r4 graphics

hi fam.....I have purchased a Geforce GTX 870 w/ 6 gb onboard. I have been told by Dell Tech that the highest card they recommend for the m17x r4 is the 680 stating that the latest model cards consume more power than the earlier boards and result in frequent BSOD. Any help or practical experience would be helpful. I'm out quite a bit of money spent on this card and I'd like to get my money's worth.

ejohnson

May 4, 2012
MN
They are wrong, the new cards use less power than the old ones.

It should work just fine, you may need a modded bios for it though to get it to work right. Just check out google and you should find the files you need to get it running.

They are wrong, the new cards use less power than the old ones.

It should work just fine, you may need a modded bios for it though to get it to work right. Just check out google and you should find the files you need to get it running.

I'm somewhat a noob at modding so when u say get a modded bios are u speaking about physically replacing the OEM bios and replacing it with another?

You would need to flash the card with some new bios that allows the computer to see it correclty.

Alienware M17x R4 – ‘BIOS A05 unlocked’
This BIOS has been modified so that it shows all hidden menus.
It will allow you to further tweak your system and optimize its peformance.
Most of the options are only meant for advanced users. Don’t change anything you’re not sure about.
There might be options visible which don’t work for your system, so be careful when changing settings.
This is based on the official BIOS A05.
Instructions are included, refer to the READ ME file.
Additional information and pictures of the menus can be found here:
Alienware M17x R4 – unlocked BIOS
Feedback is appreciated, feel free to leave a comment in the official thread linked above.
– Modified by: svl7
– If you like my work, feel free to buy me a beer
Also I want to thank widezu69 for testing the BIOS!!
It’s really hard to find users who are willing to risk their system for testing such a mod,
I’d like to point out how much I appreciate this! Thank you widezu!!!
Use with care, flash at your own risk.

This is the link to the modded BIOS A05 I located

http://forum.techinferno.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=29

Well the Nvidia Geforce 870m came in finally.....wiped out all the AMD drivers for the burnt out Radeon..pulled out the old and inserted the new card. A12 Bios sees the change... windows hasn't a clue. Tried to install the Nvidia drivers and it can't see the card to install. Contacted Alienware who of course says "we don't support higher than the Nvidia 700 series...sorry...check with NVidia". Nvidia passes the buck back to Dell. Any help here?

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

Thanks to J95's post on TI I got this thing up and running with no hiccups through a VBIOS mod that was not intended for the .inf that was illustrated but worked just fine. So again, big ups out to J95