Upgrading X51 R1 wireless card for AC wireless

Ghost101

Jul 8, 2016
I have that 7260 card on my x51 R1. Its definitely better than the stock (better signal and speeds), but you wont get Bluetooth with it cause R1 lacks Bluetooth wiring or so I heard. But if they are not part of the motherboard circuit, I would personally love to know if its possible to buy those individual wires elsewhere??

Prefer things built in rather than add more shit to my dying USB ports lol

grimesbot

Jan 6, 2021
Eugene, OR
Sorry to dig up an ancient thread, but I wanted to let folks know what I just learned:

I have an Alienware X51 (R1) that came with a came with a Dell Wireless 1502 card which only supports Wifi 802.11 b/g/n. It does NOT support bluetooth. I wanted to upgrade the card to support bluetooth but I don't think it's supported.

The Alienware X51 R1 and R2 (I didn't research the R3) use a PCI Express Mini Card connector and only has space for a "Half Mini Card" or "HMC". These mini PCIe connectors can support PCI Express and/or USB connectivity; Wifi uses PCIe, bluetooth uses USB, combo Wifi/BT cards use both. But not all motherboards/connectors support both. I just confirmed with a Dell chat rep that the Alienware X51 R1 does not support USB over the mini PCIe connector, and this is a difference between the R1 and the X51 R2 which DOES support it since it ships with the Dell Wireless 1550 combo wifi bluetooth card.

I've also seen a couple forum posts online of people upgrading their X51 R1 with the Intel 7260 card and having the wifi work but not the bluetooth. They blame the antennas, but I think they are mistaken, I believe it's the lack of USB interface support by the motherboard on that connector.