test

used alien ware m17r2 with 5870m crossfire a good buy now...??

brajesh143

i live in india best gaming laptop in india rite now at less than 70,000 rs is
lenovo y500 http://
there is only one model unlike U.S.A models with dual graphics...!!
its specs are General
Series Y
Part Number 59-379647
Lifestyle Gaming
Processor
Processor Core i7 (3rd Generation)
Variant 3632QM
Chipset Mobile HM77 Express
Brand Intel
Clock Speed 2.2 GHz with Turbo Boost Upto 3.2 GHz
Cache 6 MB
Memory
Expandable Memory Upto 8 GB
Memory Slots 2 (Unused Slot - 0)
System Memory 8 GB DDR3
Storage
RPM 5400
HDD Capacity 1 TB
Optical Disk Drive
Optical Drive DVD RW Drive
Platform
Operating System Windows 8
System Architecture 64-bit
OS Architecture 64-bit
Display
Screen Size 15.6 inch
Resolution 1366 x 768 Pixel
Screen Type HD Display
Graphics
Dedicated Graphics Memory Type GDDR5
Dedicated Graphics Memory Capacity 2 GB
Graphic Processor NVIDIA GT750m

I Thought of buying this but now i got a sweet deal used Alienware M17X-R2
http://
its specs are
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-820QM Processor 1.73GHz, 4 Cores/8 Threads, turbo up to 3.06
6GB (1X2G+1X4G) DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM, 2 DIMM
Dual 1GB GDDR5 ATI Mobility Radeon HD5870 Cross fire (2gb)
17.0" WUXGA 1920 x 1200 - Beyond HD (1200p) - RGB LED
Slot Load Fixed Blu-ray BD-ROM / DVD + /-RW Combo Drive
HARD DRIVE 500GB 7200RPM
Dell wireless 370 bluetooth minicar
Dell wireless wlan 1520 half mini card
Ricoh R5U230 card reader
9 cell battery
Genuine Windows(R) 7 Home Premium 64bit DVD

Pls help am confused now which is the better buy...??
which will give best results in gaming ?? harcore games like crysis 3 will it run in ultra settings in alienware...?? or better to go with lower resolution of lenovo...??
pls help and if i get a alienware any chance i can replace gpu , cpu ,ram in the future separately.....?? also current cpu of alienware Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-820QM Processor is it good enough and upto date for current line of games ??

- - - - - Updated; Double Post Auto Merged - - - - -

guys pls reply we are not rich like ur country to choose wat want

- - - - - Updated; Double Post Auto Merged - - - - -

guys pls reply we are not rich like ur country to choose wat want

MattyB

Hello. Personally I would go for the Alienware. It depends on the prices a little though. Neither machine will allow you to play the latest games on high/ultra settings. The Alienware is very upgradable though. You can easily upgrade the CPU to a better one (of the same generation only, ie a 940XM) and you can put a high end GPU in there too. You could try to find a cheap 7970M to start with and even add a second one in there later. They have beautiful screens too. Way better than the low res on the other one.
That's just my opinion. The CPU on the Lenovo is going to be quicker though.

brajesh143

how to upgrade CPU and GPU...?? I have to contact customer care or I have buy separately and upgrade myself...?? is the current CPU too weak...?? will it bottleneck single player games ...?? am in love with this beast so just wanted be sure it will last for 2 more years ..?? is there any guide for how to upgrade CPU GPU for this particular model...??

MattyB

There are YouTube videos on how to do it. It's relatively simple. I wouldn't worry about the CPU too much. Most games rely on GPU performance. You will need to use a modded driver if you upgrade to a newer model Nvidia card. Not sure about AMD ones. I would only suggest doing this if you can pick up the R2 really cheap. Otherwise it's probably better finding a good priced R4. Upgrading parts can be expensive. Look for them on eBay. That's your best shot.

brajesh143

ya am getting for 70000 rs including velocity spider back pack with shipping tats approx 1150 dollars worth it...??

brajesh143

guys pls help I asked to send screenshots of 3dmark11 at performance preset ...in windows 8 he is getting 1700 score crossfire disabled and 3300 crossfire enabled but in 3dmark 11 official site I see avg score of 6000 !! wat could be the reason...?? is the GPUs defective...?? pls guys reply as I want to buy it

jorlanm

I dont mean any offense but youre not running in batteries or Enduro are you?

MattyB

I briefly had an R2 with one 5870 and a 740 CPU. My total score was just over 2000. It looks like most scores were between 2200 and 2400 for similar systems. 1700 seems low.
If you search on 3DMark11 for exactly your CPU and GPU's the top score is 5173. This is usually reached with a lot of overclocking so don't take that score as gospel. Most scores were in the low to mid 4000 range. 3300 is still low though. Make sure all the drivers and BIOS are up to date.

http://www.3dmark.com/search#/?mode...HD 5870&cpuName=Intel Core i7-820QM Processor

Falcon

As per my knowledge it might not be the reason. But why would you 70000 Rupees on outdated model?
Whether you know or not M17X R4 has been replaced in India. Shortly they are going to introduce new Alienware 17 in the place of M17XR4. Wait for some time so that you can buy M17XR4 with less price from someone or atleast you can buy M17XR3.

No offense but for that amount in India I would buy new dell 15r or 17r laptop with more cpu speed and latest SSD drives etc.

I suggest if you need to buy it then its OK but if you have second thoughts, wait for something latest gig with Alienware or Dell regular laptop with more enhanced config to what you thought of going for.

Wish you will take right decision yaar.

brajesh143

As per my knowledge it might not be the reason. But why would you 70000 Rupees on outdated model?
Whether you know or not M17X R4 has been replaced in India. Shortly they are going to introduce new Alienware 17 in the place of M17XR4. Wait for some time so that you can buy M17XR4 with less price from someone or atleast you can buy M17XR3.

No offense but for that amount in India I would buy new dell 15r or 17r laptop with more cpu speed and latest SSD drives etc.

I suggest if you need to buy it then its OK but if you have second thoughts, wait for something latest gig with Alienware or Dell regular laptop with more enhanced config to what you thought of going for.

Wish you will take right decision yaar.
thanks a lot for ur feedback yea wat u say is true so I started searching for used m17xr4 and voila am getting a sweet deal 3 months used m17x r4 with gtx 675m GPU and i73740qm CPU 8gb ram with 9 months remaining warranty + backpack + 3d goggles +shipping at 90000 rs equal to 1500 dollars :)
is it a good deal now...??
I can add a second card for sli later in the future...??

brajesh143

m17xr4 doesnt support SLI afaik, but yeah the deal seems good.
ya bro but 5870m crossfire scores around 6k in 3dmark11 but gtx 675m scores in 4k range ??
why is that since notebook check.net rates gtx 675m above 5870 crossfire ??