test

Used disk space on initial factory install?

JDThird

Can anyone shed light on how much disk space is used when you unboxed the system and fired it up for the first time? I'll be doing an SSD drive and while I don't mind buying another 128GB if needed, I do have a 64GB I pulled out of my mac mini that I figured I'd use if the base install was not too bad. I'll install the few apps I use as a media center PC to the larger data drive then, but figured while I'm waiting for the build to complete, I'd see if I'll need to purchase a larger SSD or if I'll be able to squeeze things with 64GB dedicated for just Windows.

Thanks for any information

John

Maelstrom

64GB would be plenty for Windows and the other things that get installed with a new system. My current Windows folder is using about 21GB on the disc and it's over a year and a half old. You won't have much room for large files and such but your more used applications (browser, Skype, media player, ect.) should work fine on it. It really just depends on how much space you want left over though.

JDThird

Figured, since only bloatware would send it beyond 20 to 25GB but I've never had an alienware so didn't know how much bloat they come with. Since this will only be the system drive and the 2TB drive it comes with will be the D partition for everything else I install, I should be fine. Gotta get my Acronis ready. Now I just hope I don't hit some snag and end up with a delayed delivery...

Thanks for the details!

JDThird

Ordered on Friday, just went to Shipped status today on Tuesday. Guess I'll have it sooner than I had feared. At least it seems they've worked out their parts problems that they had at the beginning. I was half afraid that the new versions would go through the same thing when they started rolling out the new models here...

JDThird

Got two conflicting things from Fed Ex. Person I talked to said Dell requires signature only on their delivery slip, so if you aren't there for the first delivery attempt they leave their delivery tag for you to sign and they will leave the following day. He said there was no way to write something and have them deliver it if you're not there for the first attempt. He stressed it was Dell's requirement.

But someone in Fed Ex support I had emailed replied back and said that I can hand write something with a date and signature saying they can leave it and that's all it takes for the first delivery attempt. He even gave me a link in the FAQ that explicitly stated that was the case for "indirect signature". My unit shipped and the Fed Ex site shows "indirect signature" as the method. So in theory the email should be correct and I could leave something for them to deliver it the first attempt even if I'm not home.

But the guy on the phone was very adamant that Dell won't accept that.

Anyone have any experience one way or another?

yikes81

I am sure the FedEX guy is just covering his @$$. Prolly doesn't want responsibility if the delivery goes missing.

I cannot remember how much space was used upon initial build, but all I remember is that the installed apps list was CLEAN!! I was surprised.

Clean as in it seemed only the essential apps were installed.

Last edited:

JDThird

My build had nothing extra but some junk AV and Office 2010 trial that I couldn't opt out of - hopefully the office trial is just the installer and it's not actually installed, as most of the systems have been lately. If all I have to remove is crapafee or something, I'll be very happy.
Been a while since I've unboxed a computer I didn't have to run pcdecrapifier on first thing...

Maelstrom

I remember when I turned mine on for the first time. As soon as I logged in I removed the Dell Stage thing and some weather widget that was installed. Otherwise there wasn't much in the way of bloatware that I had to remove.

yikes81

I remember when I turned mine on for the first time. As soon as I logged in I removed the Dell Stage thing and some weather widget that was installed. Otherwise there wasn't much in the way of bloatware that I had to remove.

I didn't even have those. Maybe I just got lucky. First thing I did was a system restore point.

JDThird

38.7GB used. Imaging now. Want a base image to restore to if my setup runs into issues. But at least it finally arrived. I can't believe how quiet it is - I was hoping it'd be silent but since I'm replacing a mac mini, I didn't really expect it to compare. We'll see what happens when it's cranking out 1080 MKV's but so far it's just silent.