Using an Intel Xeon E3-1290 V2 cpu in an X51 R1

GoHack

Just curious, but would an Intel Xeon E3-1290 V2 cpu work in an Alienware X51 R1? This cpu is a socket LGA1155. It's a 3.7 GHZ/4.1 GHz Turbo, 87W, w/o any built-in graphics processor.

Thx

Maelstrom

If the socket is correct, you have the proper wattage requirements and you have some form of graphics, whether it's dedicated or not, then it should work.

If your talking about upgrading the CPU that's in the rig in your sig then I don't think that you will find much performance increase, however.

GoHack

If the socket is correct, you have the proper wattage requirements and you have some form of graphics, whether it's dedicated or not, then it should work.

If your talking about upgrading the CPU that's in the rig in your sig then I don't think that you will find much performance increase, however.

Just curious that's all.

My X51 R1 system is sadly maxed out. I'm eyeing going to the Aurora as my next system upgrade. The top of the line X51 R2, maxed out, and the bottom of the line Aurora, are very close in price. The Aurora has a lot of room to expand.

Maelstrom

Just curious that's all.

My X51 R1 system is sadly maxed out. I'm eyeing going to the Aurora as my next system upgrade. The top of the line X51 R2, maxed out, and the bottom of the line Aurora, are very close in price. The Aurora has a lot of room to expand.

I see, but if your just going to do some gaming then the Intel Core-i series processors have more than enough power for you. When you do get an Aurora the i-7's that they come with shouldn't really have to be upgraded for a long time. The GPU maybe depending on which one you get.