test

Venting about BIOS password

yikes81

I wanted to enable the BIOS password on my M17xR3 so that it restricts logon to my PC before Windows loads.
You can enabe the Supervisor password and User password in BIOS, but it does not do anything.

The Supervisor password only restricts edits to BIOS itself.
The User password only restricts viewing BIOS itself.

Other than that, anyone can boot upto Windows.

Meaning that :

1. if your laptop is stolen, then any Tom, Dick and Harry can simply format your laptop and be a happy camper with a new Alienware.

2. if you have anything prvivate on your laptop, then another program can be booted from USB to hack/bypass Windows password and gain entry into your laptop.

I mean WTH ??? Is Dell for real? How can they misinterpret the mean of Supervisor and User BIOS passwords?? EVERY OTHER FREAKEN BRAND GETS IT RIGHT !!!!

What a massive security flaw. What kind of I.T. drop out was hired to design the BIOS password section????

LaneLander

I wanted to enable the BIOS password on my M17xR3 so that it restricts logon to my PC before Windows loads.

A Bios Password was never designed to do that. No Bios will.

You can enabe the Supervisor password and User password in BIOS, but it does not do anything.

It is designed to block people from changing the settings in BIOS. It works as it is supposed to.

The Supervisor password only restricts edits to BIOS itself.

As designed. You are repeating yourself. Now sadly so am I.

The User password only restricts viewing BIOS itself.

Again.

Other than that, anyone can boot upto Windows.

Um how about a password on Window????

Meaning that :

1. if your laptop is stolen, then any Tom, Dick and Harry can simply format your laptop and be a happy camper with a new Alienware.

2. if you have anything prvivate on your laptop, then another program can be booted from USB to hack/bypass Windows password and gain entry into your laptop.

I fail to see how this is different than ANY other computer!!!

I mean WTH ??? Is Dell for real? How can they misinterpret the mean of Supervisor and User BIOS passwords?? EVERY OTHER FREAKEN BRAND GETS IT RIGHT !!!!

What a massive security flaw. What kind of I.T. drop out was hired to design the BIOS password section????

This must be your first computer or at least your first attempt to secure your computer. The only way you can keep someone from stealing your data and computer. Lock it up in your home. Even if you had a bios password and it did as you wanted. Most anyone would be able to google how to bypass the damn thing and still take your shit.

How about paying for some security and see if that will work. Otherwise do not blame the manufacturer for something that is the not their fault. FYI. the BIOS, well most from dell are Phoenix. you can blame them.

yikes81

A Bios Password was never designed to do that. No Bios will.

It is designed to block people from changing the settings in BIOS. It works as it is supposed to.

As designed. You are repeating yourself. Now sadly so am I.

Again.

Um how about a password on Window????

I fail to see how this is different than ANY other computer!!!

This must be your first computer or at least your first attempt to secure your computer. The only way you can keep someone from stealing your data and computer. Lock it up in your home. Even if you had a bios password and it did as you wanted. Most anyone would be able to google how to bypass the damn thing and still take your shit.

How about paying for some security and see if that will work. Otherwise do not blame the manufacturer for something that is the not their fault. FYI. the BIOS, well most from dell are Phoenix. you can blame them.

Actually, I have owned a great many PCs and they all, bar this one have done the same thing. You can enter a BIOS password that will activate immediately after the POST. There have been 2 places for the password, one as mentioned after POST, and a supervisor one to edit BIOS. So this leads me to question how many different brands of PC's you have owned.

I am fully aware that a BIOS password will not fully secure your PC, but it does make it more inconvenient to get into, and that is the whole purpose.

And finally, what good is a windows password, other than to stop school children from logging into it.

Sent via Tapatalk

yikes81

In the absence of this basic protection, I may have to upgrade to SSD and then encrypt the SSD to allow for the password that I want.

yikes81

But they are still expensive. Arg, I am just too tight to be able to justify the cost per Gig.

MattyB

Yeah, they are a bit overpriced still. Speaking of that, I was watching a YouTube vid of some redneck apple guy and he was building an M17x online. It was $800 to put in a 16GB RAM upgrade at the time! Glad I didn't get into all this business until now!! :eek:

yikes81

Yeh. You should have looked at the prices back around 1994 / 1995 wen Taiwan had a huge earthquake that destroyed the memory factory that supplies the world. RAM went up to about $2.50/mb.

Sent via Tapatalk

MattyB

Jebus! Lucky people at home weren't using the amount of RAM we use these days!

AeonSoul

Well that's alot, lol!
Kinda the same price spike the HDD had when shit went down in India, althrough not that high.