Very hard question about CPU Upgrade Aurora R4 and I7 4930K

Nhirlathothep

May 7, 2014
I have an Aurora R4 ALX without CPU (it was i7 3820) with the old bios

if i will buy an i7 4930K is it going to work without bios upgrade??? will it boot and let me upgrade it???

i cant upgrade bios before cause i dont have another cpu !

i know it s an hard question, only for expert tech-aliens!!!

Last edited:

holeyguy66

Feb 26, 2012
louisiana
thats a tough one. i can tell you that even though my original mobo in my r3 was the same socket as my 3770k(1155). i had the latest bios for that model and i had to do a mobo swap. its easy to find out though. drop in the cpu in question and see if it boots/post. if it dont post you will get a 2 beep tone from the pc itself. i think its 2 beeps. but it will power on and beep with no boot up. thats how i found out it wouldnt work. honestly you would have to dig deep on google for that question to be solved. as i called alienware and asked also. hope that helps a little

holeyguy66

Feb 26, 2012
louisiana
honestly since you have one that has no cpu in it already. i personally would go ahead and buy and aftermarket mobo for your chipset and be done. wouldnt need to install one cpu just to tear down and reinstall the new cpu. in my experience with mine no it wont boot at all.

new mobo with the cpu just almost a drop in and go deal

Last edited:

MaRS

Aug 15, 2014
Saint Louis
honestly since you have one that has no cpu in it already. i personally would go ahead and buy and aftermarket mobo for your chipset and be done. wouldnt need to install one cpu just to tear down and reinstall the new cpu. in my experience with mine no it wont boot at all.

new mobo with the cpu just almost a drop in and go deal

If I understand that right, wouldn't an after market motherboard basically make it impossible for his lights to work unless of course he modded it? Sorry, but I was always under the impression that a non-Alienware Aurora mobo would basically make the lights useless.