test

Very High CPU Temps

MattyB

So I have been having a few issues with the rear fan on my ALX over the past week. Occasionally the fan would speed right up to max. It would do this only a few minutes after boot up. I thought it could be a sensor problem but it has started happening more regularly now and even shutting the machine down. I installed Core Temp and discovered that the CPU is getting up to 94 degrees within minutes of booting up!

I have contacted Dell but I thought I would ask the knowledgeable folks here as well just in case you guys have some ideas as to what it could be.

I did replace the RAM last week. That's the only thing that I could have done to cause it. Could the RAM be the problem?

holeyguy66

im gonna guess bad past job on the cpu. and i also have to ask what the fans set on. i have my fans set to 50 percent idle on both hdd and pci. when i had to set it for gaming it would be 75% pci and 65% hdd, there is only one inlet and on outlet for air. also whens the last time you cleaned your rig. i take an old toothbrush to my radiator even when it doesnt look dirty. you would bve shocked at how dirty it can be with out being visibly dirty. auto just never cuts it man never. o and the system fan is the rad fan which goes from 1200 to wide open no steps in between.

yikes81

i doubt that the installation of new RAM will be the issue. somewhere somehow, the cooling has let you down.

MattyB

They are both set on default which is 50%. I have only had the ALX for about 10 days so it's pretty clean inside. It came from the Dell Outlet store. I'm starting to think it may have had a problem previously and they tried (and failed) to fix it.

I have actually now taken out 2 of the RAM modules so its running on 2 x 4GB in DIMM1 and 2. The fan hasn't gone mental yet but the idle temps went straight to 70 - 75 degrees as soon as it booted. Down from mid 90's. It still seems way too high though considering it's not doing anything.

EDIT: Things going from bad to worse now. ALX won't boot up at all. It starts to but then I get a quick flash of a blue screen and then it trys to boot again and fails. Rear fan going full speed through the whole process of course.

Last edited:

yikes81

how long do you give it between start up attempts? sufficient time to cool down?

MattyB

I was giving it about 10 minutes or so I guess. I just gave it a few hours but it still won't boot from the SSD or HDD (both have Windows on them). It was also freezing while trying to boot from the Windows 7 CD. I am just giving it another go with the CD. I can get a little way through but now it has just come up saying that my CD/DVD device driver is missing and to insert a driver CD or flash drive, etc...... which I obviously don't have.

Not sure where to go from here. Waiting on Dell......................

EDIT: Dell got me to do a Preboot System Assessment and within a minute my CPU got to 104 Degrees!

Last edited:
That sounds bad Matty!
Here are some temps from about 40 mins on Metro 2033 3D at 5760x1080
PCI fan at 60%
GTX 690 fan at 70%

ok i will try later with some better screenshots!
CPU didnt get over 50 deg

Attachments

• GPU TEMP.jpg
    GPU TEMP.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 5
  • CPU TEMP.jpg
    CPU TEMP.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

AeonSoul

You might want to repaste your CPU and check if the CPU cooler is working properly before anything else.
Also I would suggest, if it's not booting at all, stop trying to do that.

MattyB

That sounds bad Matty!
Here are some temps from about 40 mins on Metro 2033 3D at 5760x1080
PCI fan at 60%
GTX 690 fan at 70%

ok i will try later with some better screenshots!
CPU didnt get over 50 deg

Yeah that beats my figures!! :D

You might want to repaste your CPU and check if the CPU cooler is working properly before anything else.
Also I would suggest, if it's not booting at all, stop trying to do that.

I'm not going to touch it till they give me an idea of what's going on. I gave Dell the error codes from the BSOD. Lets see what they come up with tomorrow.

holeyguy66

did you google the code that will give you the problem. but what it sounds like is they need to send you a replacement hands down. your still under your warrenty and what not id push a replacement if i was you

MattyB

I just had a look online for the error code. It didn't help me that much. It seems the error code i have comes up for people for all different reasons. It has sat here all night. I should try to give it another boot now.

MattyB

Oh bugger ... I guess you are waiting for a Dell tech then.

Yep. They are going to send someone out. Problem is that I leave for work on Thursday. Looks like it won't get done till I'm home again in 2 weeks.

DeRon1

Sorry to hear that m8!! And it always sucks to be away when you need something done! I'm sure you will have it up and running well soon though!

MattyB

They are sending someone out tomorrow. Don't know if they'll fix it in one day but here's hoping anyway!