Water cooled x51

ejohnson

Just starting this project, but here is my water cooled system.

It consists of a modded aurora pump with a small radator, and 2 fans ducted to the radiator and out the back. Its not all setup yet, so I dont have any numbers. Give me a week or so for the rest of the parts to show up and I will get some numbers with the old heat sink and the new one.

Or I could mount it on top of the computer like this

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Staff member
Holy crap!!! That is awesome!!! Keep us posted, and let me know if you want to put together a how to for the article section.

ejohnson

As soon as I have it all together, I will be posting a full parts list, instructions, price list, and templates for things that need to be made and chassis mods that need to be done.

sway

Im excited your doing this as I will prolly be doing this as well. There's no thanks button on here so I'll say it... thank you.

~ Sent from my GNexus on Aokp ~

ejohnson

Just to let everyone, total on the project is around $190.00. So its not a cheap project, but I am hoping it will work pretty well.
I have my parts list all made, I will send it to Tommy when I have the project all done so he can put it in the articles section.

Remaining parts that I needed should be here by the end of the week.

Last edited:

sway

If it works really well, that's not a bad price at all imo.

~ Sent from my GNexus on Aokp ~

ejohnson

Want your opinions, where do you think the best place is going to be for the radiator?
I have a few options.

I can install it inside the computer on the backside
I can install it outside the computer on the backside
or
I can install it inside the computer facing up.

I think facing up might be my best option as it will give me alot more room for the hoses to make a nice smooth turn going back into the pump.
Mounting it to the back plate mean that the hoses will have to make a fairly sharp 180 degree bend to go down to the pump.... at least mounted on the top, the hoses can go straight out, then have ample room to turn under the cd player, then wrap around to the pump...

See poorly drawn picture for the choices :)

mav711

routing

Want your opinions, where do you think the best place is going to be for the radiator?
I have a few options.

I can install it inside the computer on the backside
I can install it outside the computer on the backside
or
I can install it inside the computer facing up.

I think facing up might be my best option as it will give me alot more room for the hoses to make a nice smooth turn going back into the pump.
Mounting it to the back plate mean that the hoses will have to make a fairly sharp 180 degree bend to go down to the pump.... at least mounted on the top, the hoses can go straight out, then have ample room to turn under the cd player, then wrap around to the pump...

See poorly drawn picture for the choices :)

I'd say avoid 180 turns wherever possible as kinks in the hoses would be very bad. Please note that without a fan like the original X51 cooling solution you won't have airflow cooling your V-Regs. This was a consideration when we originally spec'd and designed it...

ejohnson already knows this but Yes, I work for AW... :)

ejohnson

OK, I will be doing a variation of the first picture.
The only change will be the radaitor will be flipped so the inlet/outlet are on the bottom to avoid any possible air bubbles that may be in the system.
The way I am filling the system should eliminate any air bubbles, but just in case there are any.

To refill a sealed system I will fill a bowl with the coolant, then dunk the radiator in there. Then put both hoses from the pump into the bowl, turn on the pump so its got a constant flow running in it. From there I can hook up the radiator under water (one line first, let it run, then the other line)
This should eliminate all air in the system.

I will install copper heatsinks onto anything that used to be cooled by the stock one also. I have a big pile of them from modding my m11x heatsinks and from all the random motherboards I am collecting for by coffee table.

I always wondered why the x51 didnt come with a liquid cooling system, but I guess It comes down to space in there.

Remaining parts are set to be here on friday.

Last edited:

wilbymilstone

That is going to be an amazing machine with the liquid cooling. You should post pics of the mod in progress.

ejohnson

I will get some pictures tomorrow night of the radiator mounting into the chassis along with the fans.
Might not be till monday till I get a new update on the rest of it.

Jenova

Sounds complicated lol. I'm not a computer techie. I can do some minor things like swapping parts but I'm a bit low on fabricating skills.

ejohnson

I am a hardware guy, I am pretty useless with programming, but I can do just about anything hardware wise.

Got a m11xr1, soldering a new cpu in, making a carbon fiber body for it, and installing a 1080p lcd. :)

wilbymilstone

I am a hardware guy, I am pretty useless with programming, but I can do just about anything hardware wise.

Got a m11xr1, soldering a new cpu in, making a carbon fiber body for it, and installing a 1080p lcd. :)
That sounds like it will be a pretty sweet looking system.

Jenova

Jeez wish I could do that lol. I can make you a mean pizza :p

EMT911inWI

Is this only going to be cooling the processor? Or do you have plans on the GPU, Northbridge, etc....

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Staff member
Just to let everyone, total on the project is around $190.00. So its not a cheap project, but I am hoping it will work pretty well.
I have my parts list all made, I will send it to Tommy when I have the project all done so he can put it in the articles section.

Remaining parts that I needed should be here by the end of the week.
You can post it in the forum, and I can promote it to the article section. This way you can format it the way you think it needs to be and it will say your name as the author. I may do this to my X51. :)

ejohnson

Well I finally got the cooler installed last night. There is just simply not enough space even for my tiny little radiator. So, I have started cutting a "window" in the side of the case that will allow clearance for the stock 120mm radiator to sit on the side of the computer.