Water Cooling X51 R1 & R2

pengful

Has anyone toyed with the idea of modding the R1 & R2 to water cooling as per R3? Do you think the water cooler will fit the R1 & R2? Apologies if this has been asked but I was not able to find any discussion on this topic. Thanks.

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
From what I read, the OEM R3 cooler won't be plug and play as the case has certain mounting points for it. I'm sure it can be made to work though.

kadun

I would like to upgrade my air cooled x51 to liquid cool. Anyone know how to order just the oem liquid cooler setup and how much is it? Corsair has the new liquid cooling kit for the mini ITX, Corsair h5 SF. The radiator part looks like the one on the r3, just different fan.

To those who had the liquid cool setup, how is the noise?

kadun

The reviews that I found for the corsair is that it works well, but the noise it makes might drive me crazy. I think I am just going to stick with air cool. While looking for a low profile air coolant that fits on the x51 and the reviews I read, the stock coolant works the best. Removing the cd does help lower the temp to 1-2 degrees. I am using MSI afterburner to monitor the cpu temps.

The machines that I have are r2 4790 16gb SSD+hard drive and r3 6600k 8gb SSD+ hard drive. While playing black ops 3, both cpu goes up to the low 80s (80-83) and the side panel will be very warm to touch. I modded the r3 by removing the plastic shroud and replaced it with a home made one with a cover. Guess what? It worked!

R3 running with OC on and playing for black ops, the cpu temps never goes above 68 and the side panel is just warm to touch.

IMG_2833.JPG
Hope it helps!