Web Cam Driver... It's Gorn n got itself lost..... Any Ideas?

Mahoobra

Well, it seems my Web Cam has stopped working and now appears to be an unsupported device in Device Manager.

Have tried uninstalling n re-scanning to no avail sadly..

Spent over hour on phone with Tech support n the poor guy there had no joy either.. Seems neither of us could find the correct driver for the cam in the new M18 :(

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas i could try before I trash n rebuild to factory setting and spend another week downloading n re-installing my apps n games...? :eek:

Am just about to try Alien Respawn n drop back a day or so may only have to re-install a few things..

shankc

The software and driver should of came with your other discs. Webcam central I think.just reinstall off the disc and you should be sorted

Mahoobra

Yeh you would think so huh? But alas.. no.. apparently the driver was not on the disc. Have tried installing nd re-installing Web Cam Central from both the disc and the version from the support site..

Seems that the supplier for the web cam in this machine has changed. Well so the techie on the alienware support site seems to think..

Awaiting a resolution from alienware support.. so will update this in case anyone else has a similar issue....

:)

MattyB

I just did a re-install of Windows 8 on my 14 yesterday. There was no particular Dell driver for my camera though. After reinstalling everything I just tried running the camera and it worked. I did not have to install Webcam Central.
The 18 may use a different camera though and if you have Windows 7 that could make a difference too. Webcam Central is really just a program that can use the webcam. I don't think it's really a 'driver' as such.
I would try reinstalling your Chipset from the Dell website.

Mahoobra

Hmm.. I may give that a try..... Thanks.... will let ya know how it goes :)

Mahoobra

I tried everything suggested here. Seem the Technical support tried them also..
So yup I done a fresh factory install and the darned thing still not working.. Would suggest a hardware fault they said..

Sooo, Alienware Tech Support booked me an Engineer for today. YaY great... that's good!! So you would think...
After sitting about twiddling my thumbs for over half the day I decided to ring them up and see where the engineer dude was at...

Nothing, Nada. They (techies) for some unexplained reason did not send the case to an engineer...
Not only that but they did not even bother to contact me to tell me I would wait in all day in vain for the phantom techie to appear....

THANKS a bunch Alienware... over 7 hours on the end of the phone this week and last and no one could be bothered to call me to let me know I did not have to take time out and sit at home....

Totally miffed... vent vent vent!!!!

- - - - - Updated; Double Post Auto Merged - - - - -

And.. If an Integrated Web Cam was broken/faulty, would it still show up in device manager as an unknown device? the system can see it.. it just cannot work it...

Or am I just beginning to rant a lot.... grr

DDuB420

Since your running out of options, you could try a program like this..
http://www.driver-soft.com/

I use this at work all the time, it helps with trying to find bullshit drivers. If your not up to pay for it there are ways around that :cool:

Mahoobra

Ahhhh, it seems I have not bothered to update this post so here goes.

Well the fault seems to be a hardware one. The reason no one bothered to turn up to replace it is that the help desk had a technical fault.
Yeh they forgot to forward the case to the engineer... The guy turned up with a new cam and set about stripping my lappy. He was ok we me hovering about him as I made sure there was no damage done to my new baby... All went well and now I have been using it for a while with no issues.

So all is well. I have the right badge logos n everything... Happy bunneh?.. Lol

MattyB

Good to see it got sorted...finally. Hopefully that's the last of the issues for you