weird problem m17xr4

brajesh143

Jul 1, 2013
India
my m17xr4 works great ......suddenly out of blue when i open my computer or be control panel.....it keeps loading forever and worse part is i can browse my computer through any media player and opening media files during this weird problem there is no cpu over use also only 2 to 6 % ...how to fix this ?? is it my hard drive problem ??

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Could be the HDD or maybe RAM. You could try a Dell pre-boot assessment. This is a diagnostic which checks through all your components. From memory you need to press F12 as you boot to get into the boot menu and then chose PSA or diagnostic (can't remember).

You could also try using a Windows restore point to a time you know it was working properly or use AlienRespawn (if you've set it up)

brajesh143

Jul 1, 2013
India
Could be the HDD or maybe RAM. You could try a Dell pre-boot assessment. This is a diagnostic which checks through all your components. From memory you need to press F12 as you boot to get into the boot menu and then chose PSA or diagnostic (can't remember).

You could also try using a Windows restore point to a time you know it was working properly or use AlienRespawn (if you've set it up)

Thanks a lot will try and let u know

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

bro short tests passed in diagnostic mode in bios

i installed windows new again but this problem persists..... ln previous version of windows same happened but with cpu overusage till 90% when i went to taskmanager it showed some dllhost.exe consuming all the cpu...so i force kill it ..problem solved.....but this time there is no cpu over usage ...its very weird

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
I think the RAM tests run for a fair while but you have to select to run the full one at the end of the first lot of tests. It's been a while since I've used it so I can't remember.

Have you installed any new programs lately? I would definitely try using system restore and maybe also run some virus scans and Spybot Search & Destroy

If you've reinstalled Windows and it's still happening then it would be hardware. Try swapping out your RAM or just install one stick at a time to see what happens.

brajesh143

Jul 1, 2013
India
i just done the full length tests from bios... it took more than 3 hrs to complete especially hard disk part. is this normal ??

I think the RAM tests run for a fair while but you have to select to run the full one at the end of the first lot of tests. It's been a while since I've used it so I can't remember.

Have you installed any new programs lately? I would definitely try using system restore and maybe also run some virus scans and Spybot Search & Destroy

If you've reinstalled Windows and it's still happening then it would be hardware. Try swapping out your RAM or just install one stick at a time to see what happens.

i just done the full length tests from bios... it took more than 3 hrs to complete especially hard disk part. is this normal ??

BrokeHombre

Apr 15, 2013
USA
sorry to but in on this conversation -
the length of time the diag takes to run will depend on the amount of ram you have and the size of the hard-drive.
I would run some virus scans in safe mode to rule out any virus or root kit - use malwarebytes scanner but dont enable the trial version - just use the free and do a complete scan, that will take awhile to depending on the size of the hdd. Also make sure you run the scan in safe mode - DOnt forget to take MattyB's suggestions for a system restore and trying one memory stick at a time - DId you add more memory recently? Check to make sure the sticks are seated correctly - and make sure they are the same speed - it kinda sounds like a stick has gone bad or is not seated correctly...just trying to give you ideas and some more guidance - take it with a grain of salt and good luck - will check tomorrow for your results...

brajesh143

Jul 1, 2013
India
sorry to but in on this conversation -
the length of time the diag takes to run will depend on the amount of ram you have and the size of the hard-drive.
I would run some virus scans in safe mode to rule out any virus or root kit - use malwarebytes scanner but dont enable the trial version - just use the free and do a complete scan, that will take awhile to depending on the size of the hdd. Also make sure you run the scan in safe mode - DOnt forget to take MattyB's suggestions for a system restore and trying one memory stick at a time - DId you add more memory recently? Check to make sure the sticks are seated correctly - and make sure they are the same speed - it kinda sounds like a stick has gone bad or is not seated correctly...just trying to give you ideas and some more guidance - take it with a grain of salt and good luck - will check tomorrow for your results...

Thanks..yes i will do a virus scan... i havent installed additional stick of ram...mine is 8 gb memory but am afraid to remove it on my own is it safe ??

shankc

Dec 26, 2012
UnitedKingdom
Its safe enough to remove ram just make sure your grounded with ESD strap or just touch something metal and when you've removed battery press the power button for 10 seconds to discharge any power left in your system and should be safe good luck