test

Weird stuttering problem.

mrmoomoo

Hi everyone

I have recently acquired a M17x r4.

I am running windows 10 pro build 1809.
Ive noticed a strange unresponsiveness coming from my pc .
music games and videos get very stuttery.
I have swapped ram cpu gpu etc and cant see it being snything to do with the actual hardware as its still doing the same thing.
i have an old laptop with a dead mobo so i had spares.
i thought it may of been over heating so this morning i cleaned the gpu and cpu paste off and re-done it.
This didnt make a difference.
the last thing to try was just using the intel hd graphics on its own , so i switched (fn - f7) still the same !

16gb ram single channel. (also tried with dual channel).
120gb ssd
1tb 7200rpm hdd
i7 3820qm cpu.
Nvidia gtx 880m using mr fox 344.5 modded driver.

has anyone experienced anything like this before ? its doing my head in.

am i using incorrect drivers ?

any help anyone ca give will be highly appreciated.

MattyB

It's a little hard to tell for sure what the issue could be. If you've replaced the hardware then it's possibly a software issue. Have you tried reinstalling Windows? It could also be a failing SSD.

mrmoomoo

Well i thought the same so i replaced the ssd , SAME PROBLEM HITTING MY HEAD AGAINST THE WALL.

Turns out it was the installation of windows i had, was a disc made by some dude round the corner from me.
purchased a new key online , downloaded the iso from the windows website.

Job Done :)))) everything working tickety boo :)

Thank you all for those that replied in assisting me .

mrmoomoo

I spoke too soon, but due to being ill (not corona related , i had a fight with a doorstep and mangled my foot) i havent been able to do much about it .

this stuttering is driving me nuts , its almost as if windows becomes slightly unresponsive (as if its overheating or something) .

Ive replaced ram , hard drives, installed a fresh copy of windows (genuine). currently running build 1909, cleaned fans and re pasted the gpu and cpu.

strange thing is my other alienware works fine on the same setup.

only thing i can think is motherboard but i highly doubt as other than stuttering and being a little unresponsive at times it works absolutely fine.

Can anyone recommend something i could purchase to diagnose and check my system?

any help would be highly appreciated as ive had enough now and may consider using as a fine doorstop.

MattyB

Have you used a temperature monitor to check what the temps are doing? Maybe the CPU temps are high and it's causing issues. It's very hard to diagnose over messages unfortunately.

mrmoomoo

yeah i have looked , havent got them to hand but they look about the same as my other working alienware

mrmoomoo

its the same spec down to the t (apart from the graphics card which is slightly different)

cant see any abnormalities , (bangs head against wall)

MattyB

Have you tried running the pre-boot diagnostic? Press F12 while booting to get into the boot menu and select the diagnostic. It can sometimes pick up hardware errors. The final test is for the memory and can take some time to complete. It could be a faulty ram stick or the HDD/SSD.