What Graphics card would fit AND work with X51 R1??

i-tx

So, now, in summary we have.
To upgrade X51 R1 video card your BIOS has to be A14 (or never). PSU should be 330W.
Changing OEM video card (mostly from GTX660) to a GTX1060 in reference design from any manufacturer you shouldn't have any problems. Sometimes you'll need to set in BIOS primary video output for integrated at first and change it to discreet after sucsessfully booting.
In case ystem doesn't start You'll need to boot X51 from a flashdrive with the BIOS A14.
Anyway no powerboard upgrade needed, no mods for case also (for reference design). GTX1060 runs perfectly.
Referense design recomends cause X51 has no space for intake to classic fans (space between HDD and videocard is too small for that so then videocard wouldn't get cooled rightly).

P.S.
I recomend change HDD to SSD, because intake for a blower from videocard is straight to HDD surface (less space, heated by HDD air going to videocard, blower running at his last often). When I swapped HDD-SSD space to intake for a blower increased, SSD's not heating incoming air, so blower didn't work at his last at all (all games I have I'm running on ultra for now).
Best way to have fast booting X51 with a large storage for me now: SSD inside and USB 3.0 external HDD 2Tb (maybe NAS in further).

kelticknight

hi all
have x51 r1 with 646 gpu card , want to upgrade, have bios A14, The power adapter says 240
which gpu can i get with current hardware

uploaded the power adapter photo

Attachments

kelticknight

ok
is i3 = R1
I5 = r2
i7 = R3

as i have i5 with GTX 645 GPU with 240 watt power supply , can i use GTX 760 gpu card ?. I'm getting a 330 watt power supply I think as give me better options
Is there much of difference between the gtx 645 I have and gtx 760

Last edited:

i-tx

Both of them should work perfectly, but cause of configuration inside of case I'd recomend to use reference design (PNY of yours links). Because fan hase intake right from your HDD while blower intake is from case fan.

i-tx

ok
is i3 = R1
I5 = r2
i7 = R3

as i have i5 with GTX 645 GPU with 249 watt poer supply , can i use GTX 760 gpu card
NO! R1, R2 and R3 not even CPU!!!
All of revisions have i3, i5 and i7

I have R1 i7-3770, 16Gb RAM, 330W PSU, 275Gb SSD (changed from 2Tb HDD) and GTX1060 6Gb (changed from GTX660)...
No mods needed from me while changing GPU (originally GTX1060 power consumtion is less than GTX660, the same for SSD-HDD swap).

You can find wich revision you have from dell support (use your service tag to know which CPU you have)
Also you can find which revision from http://alienware-x51.wikia.com/wiki/Alienware_x51_Wiki

Also my thoughts that GTX760 isn't choice to look at. It's not very cheeper than 1060, but 1060 is more powerfull (in real games it's more powerfull than 970, so take a notice about it)
I've played R6 Siege, Doom4, GTA5 on ultras recently. If game has no FPS limitations it's 144 (min 120) on my 144Hz monitor, no lags, no artefacts... All runs perfectly.

The only doubt of your system is PSU 240W, so the one way to know if it's a problem - try it.
Remember reference design and reference specs are better for us (overclocked GPU as usual need more powerfull PSU than we have in ours X51's).

Last edited:

kelticknight

thanks for link, not 100 per cent sure but i think mine is R1 also =
the site says =
  • core i5: 2320 (Sandy Bridge) and 3450 (Ivy Bridge)
  • and mine on service tag says : PROCESSOR, IVB, I5-3330, 3.0, 77W, 4C, N0
i ordered a 330 watt power adapter off eBay new , i have bios already done at A14
SO will go with your advise on graphic card as makes sence at get gtx 1060,
1 question

you say if the new gtx 1060 doesnt boot , you have to boot with flashdrive usb stick with A14 bios on it, is this correct

i have 6gb ram memory, is there much point getting more ram with new 1060 gpu

i-tx

the site says =
i ordered a 330 watt power adapter off eBay new , i have bios already done at A14
1 question

you say if the new gtx 1060 doesnt boot , you have to boot with flashdrive usb stick with A14 bios on it, is this correct

Yes it's look like you have R1. I've hadn't any problems with uprgade, I din't boot up system from USB-stick, just connect monitor to integrated GPU first, then go to BIOS and change primary display to discreet video card. After that connect monitor to GTX and have fun)
About RAM I think upgrade to at least 8Gb is good desicion (12GB is better)
If I had i5-3330 I'd rather swap RAM 6Gb to 12GB, GTX645 to GTX1060 3GB and of course HDD-SSD. So it will be well balanced system where CPU-RAM-GPU-SSD perfectly fits each other.
My opinion based on that point: if you do 16GB RAM, GTX1060 6Gb you must swap i5 to a newer version of it (but that means new motherboard) or upgrade to i7 of 3rd gen. But all of these steps will cost to you like buying new X51 R3... So I think the best way is to do middle way to uograde RAM-GPU and I really think that swapping HDD to SSD is also very good idea. System on SSD will work much faster, even loading in games. I've tryed to run R6 Siege on ultras on HDD first and get long loading time before battle (and getting "wooden PC" in chat)))), after installing SSD that problem is not mine. System ready to go in 23 secs after I tap power key.

kelticknight

I rang dell and I have R1 ivy bridge version of i5 which take 16 ram memore. so would that be OK with 330 power adapter and the 1060 gpu.

You said if I wanted to go 16 GB I have to upgrade to i7 . why .
Is it because 16 GB with 6gb ggpu is too much
Dell said I have higher end i5 ivy bridge runs faster than sand bridge

I can get 2 x 8gb garda. skill dual channel memory for 100 euros or 1 x 8b memory from Dell for 92 euros
The gtx 1060 gpu in 6gb or 3gb

Last edited:

i-tx

I rang dell and I have R1 ivy bridge version of i5 which take 16 ram memore. so would that be OK with 330 power adapter and the 1060 gpu.

You said if I wanted to go 16 GB I have to upgrade to i7 . why .
Is it because 16 GB with 6gb ggpu is too much
Dell said I have higher end i5 ivy bridge runs faster than sand bridge

I can get 2 x 8gb garda. skill dual channel memory for 100 euros or 1 x 8b memory from Dell for 92 euros
The gtx 1060 gpu in 6gb or 3gb
I know that your CPU is ivy bridge so is mine.
But actually I didn't know of prices in your country... They are really goooooood)))
So now, for that prices have no doubt!!! Go for 16Gb RAM and GTX1060 6Gb!!! In that case you'll get really good and fast game system available for moment.
But I also recommend to get SSD for OS and games you often play, again. You can leave HDD as storage for movies, pics and other docs. In my case I did swap HDD to SSD cause I have NAS as storage, so I leaved only SSD inside of X51 case.
Hope I've helped you to get some kind of decisions;)

kelticknight

Thanks.you helped a lot.
A gtx 1060 with 6gb with single fan as I would think double fan might end fit be 320 euros delivered . double fan gtx1060 little cheaper
So cheapest is Asus single fan gtx 1060 at 309 euros delivered
Friend getting me deal on ssd but won't have for few weeks
So the rest I can get and do till I get it

LukeUBN4IT

the site says =
1 question

Before you use that 330watt power supply you may want to read up here first. I have the R3, so I am not positive, but from reading on these forums, I think that if you have the R1, you may need to update to the R2 power board to use the 330watt power supply.

See this link, (and maybe some other threads here):

http://www.alienowners.com/threads/x51-r1-power-board-replacement-r1-vfhmm-with-r2-d85rt.6325/

kelticknight

Hi
Cheers for that
From reading here and other forums . r1 users using 970 or 980 gpu had problems early on . I'm looking to gtx 1060 or gtx 1050 as the power usage is low don't need to change board . some r1 users got these cards and 330 watt power and seems to have stable systems . also seems have to update bios to latest A14 saves on lockups and crashes
I ordered 16 GB memory g. skill Whichave gives low voltage which x51 like .
I let you know how I get on

kelticknight

has anyone here used a 1050 TI 4 gb graphics card in x51 r1 with i5 and did it work good without mods or crashes
looking at 2 gpu
1060 with 6gb and 1050 TI, the 1050 ti uses less watts than 1060

Avs

So, I seem to have messed up. Updated the BIOS to A14, works fine. Got a 1060, fits fine. Boot it up for the first time... No signal. Realize that I did not actually activate the integrated graphics the last time I was in the BIOS. No signal from the motherboard HDMI connection, either. Toss the original 660 back in... Still no signal. Crap.

The computer is audibly booting normally- single chirp from the BIOS kicking in, drive noises as they turn on, chime from the speakers when Windows starts up- I just can't seem to get any video out of it. I'd try changing the BIOS graphics settings blind, but I can't remember exactly which keystrokes I'd need from the quick look I gave it after the update.

Any advice?

Krakatori

So, I seem to have messed up. Updated the BIOS to A14, works fine. Got a 1060, fits fine. Boot it up for the first time... No signal. Realize that I did not actually activate the integrated graphics the last time I was in the BIOS. No signal from the motherboard HDMI connection, either. Toss the original 660 back in... Still no signal. Crap.

The computer is audibly booting normally- single chirp from the BIOS kicking in, drive noises as they turn on, chime from the speakers when Windows starts up- I just can't seem to get any video out of it. I'd try changing the BIOS graphics settings blind, but I can't remember exactly which keystrokes I'd need from the quick look I gave it after the update.

Any advice?
I've had the same problem in the past. It's because either setup needs to be changed but obviously you can't see what the hell you are doing or you arent able to install drivers yet. Basically HDMI won't work. You need a pin connector cord ...vga or whatever. Then you'll have visual and can make the above changes.

Avs

I've had the same problem in the past. It's because either setup needs to be changed but obviously you can't see what the hell you are doing or you arent able to install drivers yet. Basically HDMI won't work. You need a pin connector cord ...vga or whatever. Then you'll have visual and can make the above changes.
Dang, I was afraid of that. Well, I'm pretty sure I've still got some old cords and a DVI/VGA adapter somewhere around here...

i-tx

Any advice?
Hi! You can try to drop BIOS to defaults by taking battery off (so did I) or find jumper for that on motherboard. Cause default settings in BIOS is to use integrated videocard first. So you can try to reset BIOS settings with these steps, than connect display to integrated video, boot up system and change in BIOS primary video output from integrated to discreet. (remember to connect display to GXT after that)