What Graphics card would fit AND work with X51 R1??

Silver

can i use a 1050/1050 ti with a 240w? i have i5 3330 with 8gb of ram and gtx 645

Avs

I can confirm that the PNY 1060 CG Dell sells fits inside the case perfectly. In fact, it is the exact same dimensions as the PNY GTX 660 that shipped with my x51. Very nearly the same fan case, aside from a slightly larger cutout around the power connector and a couple of stickers. Even still has the cutout for the dual-card connections that the 1060 omits.

One oddity about it, though; that power connector has eight pin sockets, but all the documentation that comes with it and that PNY has online says it only needs a six pin connection from the power supply and doesn't mention the two extra sockets at all. I don't know a lot about the various GPU power connections, but from what I can gather it's a "6+2" connection, with the two extra pins an option for overclocking. It'll accept and run just fine off one of the x51's six-pin supply lines, at any rate.

And once you get it in there and iron out any weirdness, it runs Fallout 4 at Ultra settings like a dream. :D

SBrew

About the x51 R1 upgrade to R2 power board, along with the problems I am facing with it. Before I installed anything I am running with the default 240W PSU and a EVGA 670, so you know my games force shut down and boot up like most X51 users.

I have installed the R2 power board inside my X51 R1 and the PNY GTX 1060 (dual fan) along with adding the 330w power supply to go along with it. I plug in the 330w power supply and the CPU fan starts blow very fast without the power being turned on. I thought that this was supposed to happen and I turn on the power and there is no boot up screen, just the fan blowing very fast.

I then reinstall the R1 power board with the PNY GTX 1060 dual fan and is able to boot up the X51, but now I have a CPU Fan failure. I press F1 to see if everything is intact. The X51 is now slow and cannot access the GPU (1060 dual fan) for graphics support, theres no sound and cannot run Chrome, Steam, etc without it studdering leading to a blue-screen error.

I then reinstall the EVGA 670(back to what I had before) and I still get the CPU Fan Failure, and I resume to the desktop again. Everything seems fine except its now slower and still get studdering problems. So my questions are:

How do I get the R2 power board install to actually work without problems?

How do I fix the CPU Fan Failure problem?

Is the dual-fan GTX 1060 a good GPU to go with if I can't find the single fan version?

I think a video with information on the precautions of doing the R2 power board mod would help many people before they try it

DNO

How do I fix the CPU Fan Failure problem?
Your issue sounds a lot like one I got on my side.
Here is what it looked like by then:
http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19665285

In my case I had to check twice each connection and found out my 6 pin power connector on GPU was either missplaced either badly attached. My X51 R1 has a double six pin connector on the cable GPU side and only one was used to to power the GTX so I tried by changing to the second one.

I don't know what solved the prob for me exactly but it seems your card is not getting the needed power somehow... and it might be linked to the manipulation you did while changing the Powerborad.

about the video :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRjTe_bGQVQ

This one shows steps and precaution to reach (and in your case change) the powerboard. I used that one when I changed mine.

Installed GTX 1060 easily without modification into an x51 r1 and it locked up on the boot. Installed the same GTX 1060 easily without modification into an x51 R2, and it worked perfectly.

Although my external power supply unit for my x51 R1 is rated for 330W, internally my computer's "printed Wiring Assy,Daughterboard,PWR-BRD,X51,R1" is rated for 240W. I ordered a 45$ "printed Wiring Assy,Daughterboard,PWR-BRD,X51,R2" from Dell, and am waiting for its arrival to see if I can get the GTX 1060 to power up on a R1.
Which kind of 1060 did you get? Was it the Founder's Edition?

Krakatori

can i use a 1050/1050 ti with a 240w? i have i5 3330 with 8gb of ram and gtx 645
Q
A couple of notes on a recent install of an MSI Gtx 1050 TI 4 GB. Firstly I bought the X51 about four years ago when I knew zilch about computers. Its an R1 with I5 2320 and 240 w PSU...my microwave is more powerful.
I'd pretty much resigned myself to getting another box until the 1050s came out.
First thing...triple check the width of any card you are looking at getting. A lot of retailers mix up width with depth and in my case the above-mentioned card was over a cm greater in width than the X51 max of 4.7 inches. After an hour of swearing and gentle angling I got it in and working fine but do not recommend trying this at home...get a smaller card. Of course the day after I did all this palaver, it was announced that low profile 1050s are coming.
Obviously the 240 w PSU is not recommended so I have a 330 w on the way and am undervolting the card in the meantime. Also , because there are no reference editions with blower fans, I had pretty hefty concerns about using a dual fan card inside . I applied some thermal paste while I had the box open and idle temps are now ten degrees lower than before . The motherboard gets hot after a couple of hours ...70 C but everything else is fine.
A couple of other notes... keyboard wasn't recognized after driver install. Fixed it by booting with it unplugged from the USB port then plugging in.
No sound from HDMI to TV. Disconnect the DVI cable from the card port and use only the HDMI.
So overall the card has been running well for over a week with no issues hitting 60 fps on games I could hardly run before. A bit of a botched install in my part but it's a decent interim solution for a couple of hundred bucks for a PC that was otherwise headed for the recycling bin.
Cheers

kelticknight

I have R1 i5 but got a330 watt power supply and installed the sigle fan ,palit GTX 1050 TI 4 gb graphics card, was running it with 6 gb ram which worked ok but since i installed g.skill ram to 16 gb ram runs smoother, plays all games high , no issues

anyone with r1 5i unit need to get 330 watt power supply other wise you have issues

link to graphics card i got and working perfect

https://www.alzashop.com/palit-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-stormx-d4530101.htm

Can confirm gtx 1060 works in my x51 r1 (original powerboard)
EVGA Card 6GB Superclocked Mini
https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Support-Graphics-06G-P4-6163-KR/dp/B01IPVSLTC

My x51 R1 has 8GB ram and an i5-3330
Been playing fallout 4, skyrim, and a little bit of doom, all ultra with constant 60+ fps

Really pleased with the purchase. Was considering building a whole new pc because mine wasnt keeping up.
Thank you so much for replying, did you have to buy the 330w power supply or did you keep with the 240w?

kelticknight

I got mine from uk so should be cheaper for you as your in UK. was cheaper than buying off dell . saw few sellers selling in UK and few in Germany but uk sellers were cheaper