What Graphics card would fit AND work with X51 R1??

RC_ED

I have the r2 with the gtx nvidia 1060 6gb founders edition and works perfect. I don't know if is going to work with the r1 motherbase.
If you go back through previous posts others are running the GTX 1060 on the R1. The Nvidia FE Cards are impossible to get here in Australia as that Card was my preference. I did see them on Amazon but they were far to much. I went with the Evga GTX 1060 SC 6gb as its a Reference/Blower style card and its ultra small form factor of only 7"s. After watching the videos on YT of people moding the case and forcing 10.5" Cards in there X51, and then struggling with overheating and putting SSD's in to generate more room for Cables and Air, It made me think can i be bothered!? hence the evga decision. I have just got the bios to A12 and Im doing A14 as I write this. As soon as the card is installed and running Ill post again.

Last edited:

RC_ED

I have the r2 with the gtx nvidia 1060 6gb founders edition and works perfect. I don't know if is going to work with the r1 motherbase.
Ive got it installed and running! I ended up going for the EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC as it has a really small form factor. Getting the bios to update was a bit of a pain. But its running like a madman now! Thanks everyone for all your help.

whitepuma

i know i'm really late on this...I picked myself up a x51 r3 last week second hand (to be used as a steam machine for couch play games). The existing gtx 745 was doing fine, but as its connected up to a 75" 4k tv, i really wanted to take advantage of the 4k aspect, so decided to upgrade to a gtx1070. Specifically to a gtx1070 katana (managed to pick one up for 250aud 2nd hand).

I have to say, i think the katana is THE BEST card for this build. It's single slot, and low power consumption. The airflow is great in there and i didn't even have to remove the front case fan! (but i did have to remove the fan shield). it honestly feels like this card was designed for this build.

I was so pleased with the space available with the single slot gpu that i even managed to fit an SSD in between the GPU and the existing 1tb hdd, there is still space available. no fans are blocked, no vents are blocked, no cutting or grinding required. I'm happy :)

Was playing some gpu intense games on it last night for a good 4 hours straight, noticed no issues whatsoever.

Overall build was only 700aud (400aud x51 r3, 250aud gtx1070katana, 50aud 500gb seagate ssd)
If they make a Katana equivalent for the RTX series i may consider upgrading that.

Attachments